• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rant

BexPets

Warren Scout
(I do hope the person I'm writing this about does not read this.)

So my friend's rabbit died.

The rabbit was kept in one of those two-storey hutches where the bottom storey had only bars instead of wooden walls, so is more exposed (designed to accommodate an attached run). They kept the hutch in an open space where cars parked, with no run attached, no cover or barriers around it. It was like this even in the dead of winter, except in the previous 4 years before this when it inhabited an indoor rabbit cage.. outside. My other friend once looked after this rabbit for a week and said it took 5 hours to successfully de-lodge the accumulated 5 inches of muck that had never been cleaned from this cage, de-green the waterbottle and cut the rabbits overgrown claws.

I once had a conversation with this friend where I was saying how you don't know when rabbits are ready for their food because they don't bark like dogs do. My friend said 'oh, doesn't yours growl when it wants something? Or rattle the bars with its teeth?' The friend also came in one day laughing because the rabbit had gotten so bored/frustrated in its minuscule enclosure that it had chewed apart and started digging into the tarmac beneath it, causing injuries to itself. Their solution was to put a concrete slab over the hole rather than appease the poor animal.

Also, they let the dogs run around and bark at hutch because 'the rabbit doesn't mind, he tries to talk to them by growling and stomping'.

Anyway, now that the rabbit has died

They have bought another rabbit :censored:

From Petsathome :cry:

To be kept on its own :cry:

In this same hutch :cry:

:cry::cry::cry: as I read through, I thought to myself, what a sad story :cry: at least poor bun is now free to Binky at rainbow bridge. But to read they have now got another rabbit, that is just :censored::evil: :cry::cry::cry:

How awful, the poor rabbit that died and also the poor rabbit that gets to spend it's life in a prison :(

I wonder why they got another rabbit if they didn't care about the previous one?

Oh no! :cry: I'm so sorry for that poor bunny who died and now the poor soul who's got to suffer the same fate :cry:

I don't know what to say :cry: I'm in a similar situation with my OH's ex wife & the rabbits she bought for her 6 year old twins.

I assume you've tried explaining the correct rabbit care, but it's been ignored :cry:

The friend who looked after the rabbit for a week, and I, have both tried to gently inform.. but were ignored. The friend's mother had loads of rabbits when she was a child (although, they were bred for food so the care is completely different); they are 'experts'.

They did say they might get another rabbit to be friends with this one, but weren't sure if they'd bond. The cage at petsathome was full of rabbits.. why would they not buy two then? It doesn't make any sense to me. I suggested asking a rescue to bond until a good match was found, and then hopefully the rescue could tell them about proper rabbit care in a firmer way..

I could cry for the poor rabbits, I would love love love to lock humans away in the same conditions that they impose on these poor bunnies-does that sound awful ? All you can do is advise them really and hope that some of it sinks home :cry:

Back