• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit acting... weird

Delta

Warren Scout
There is something wrong with Delta!
The last couple of weeks she has been refusing to get into her cage at the end of the day even for a treat and spending more and more time in her hidey hole. Ive had her over a year now and she has always come when called before. She's still eating and pooping ok so I don't think it's a physical thing although she's not eating with as much enthusiasm.
She's had her teeth checked recently so I know theres nothing wrong there.
She is moulting at the moment which seems to be lasting forever this time. She's never behaved like this on previous moults though.
Any ideas anyone? :thumb:

I think you should get her to the vet - a change in behaviour is often a sign of illness. With her not eating with much enthusiasm and not being social, I would imagine there is something causing her pain.

Is she spayed? Are her poos normal? Is she eating the same amount of hay as usual?

A heavy moult can cause gut slowdown, which in turn causes pain, which discourages them from eating and slows the gut down more. I would ask the vet to listen to and feel her gut thoroughly and to have another look at her back teeth with an otoscope - they can be very hard to see properly and some aren't even visible when the rabbit is conscious.

If it's not her gut or teeth, I'd be wanting them to check her thoroughly for signs of abscesses etc and possibly running some tests.

Well done for noticing it, I hope it's something simple.

Thank you! Will get her there ASAP!

Yeh she's spayed and poos are normal. Its not that you can say something is wrong it's just that somethings not right!

Thank you! Will get her there ASAP!

Yeh she's spayed and poos are normal. Its not that you can say something is wrong it's just that somethings not right!

Yeah, I'd try to get her to one tomorrow, if you can. Take some fresh poos with you :mrgreen: the vet may wish to inspect them.

I know exactly what you mean. Granted, my Barney is chronically ill, but his condition is managed by meds. Often I take him to the vet because I have a feeling that he's just not quite right, there's nothing specific wrong, and it usually turns out that my instinct was spot on and he's gone downhill. Often with rabbits, them seeming a bit 'off' can be the only sign of illness at first.

Back