• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My baby bunny passed away yesterday.

Hello everyone..

I am new to forums and don't know how to use this properly so please excuse me if I break any codes of conduct.

I am a bunny mummy in distress after losing my precious Cooper yesterday.

He was a mini lop ear of 2.5 and had experienced bloating once before but got him to the vet on time. Yesterday seemed to be acute and even though the shot was administered his little heart couldn't take it and failed him - and us.

So many questions are running through my mind right now about what could have been done to save him. But I swear I was the best mum I could be I knew my homework and checked for all the signs and so did my lovely partner who had to go through this alone as I am abroad.

I have been inconsolable and don't know how to deal with this - cooper was my saviour when I was at my lowest and when things finally picked up he left us.

He was also my first pet and it's save to say I adored him.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Sincerely yours a heartbroken bunny mama.

I've moved your post to a new thread for you as it'll probably get lost within the other thread. :wave:

I'm so sorry for your loss. :( It sounds like you did all you could for Cooper; you got him to the vet and it sounds like you were already clued up about the warning signs to look for but sometimes the illness just comes on so suddenly. It's natural to blame yourself at times like this but you did your best.

I am so sorry you lost Cooper. Sadly many of us on the forum have lost a much loved bunny friend suddenly and at the vets and unfortunately we don't really know why, even when they get the best of care. Was you probably know they hide thier pain and sometimes it can be hard to diagnose what is going on.

You were a loving and caring owner and you did you you could.

I'm so sorry. I lost a young bunny to bloat last summer so I know exactly how you feel - I went through all the same questioning and second-guessing what might have been. But you did your absolute best. You have to keep in mind that bloat is a very serious condition and he was a very sick bunny - it's likely that he just couldn't be saved.

It does get easier with time x

Hello everyone,

Thank you for writing back it feels good to be able to communicate with other rabbit owners.

Has anyone of you lost a little one before and if so how did you deal with it?

I would like to get another baby bunny and give him the love Cooper showed us we had within us. I feel like it's the only way of continuing his legacy and what he did for us.

Do you know when would be a good time to adopt another little one?

Thanks for your support everyone. I'm trying not to be overly emotional about it but they really are part of our families aren't they?

Living without him feels like a nightmare, especially since he was such a healthy and happy boy. It just makes it all the worse knowing that and guilt trips me into thinking that if I did something differently he could have been saved :(

My poor boy x

:( Its never easy. I lost Sunshine the ginger bunny in my pictures below. He was unwell in the morning and I made a vet appointment for as soon as possible that day but he passed away just before the cab arrived. My vet said it was unlikely there was anything they would have been able to do as he must have been so unwell.

I'm so sorry you lost your boy :cry:

I've lost two beloved bunnies - Badger on 29th April & Dexter on 11th December 2011.

Dexy had to be pts by the emergency vet as he suffered from e. Cuniculi :cry: I wasn't in this forum then and I wish I was as I'm sure I could have saved him with their help :cry:

Badger died very suddenly overnight :cry: he was fine all day then seemed off at 11pm when I fed him and when I checked on him at 7.30am ready to go to the vet at 8.30am, he was already dead :cry:

So, yes, we understand your pain here. I have no advice sadly on how to get through this though. I still struggle with the grief & guilt, but here, you're not alone.

Sorry you lost your boy :cry:

Try not to be too hard on yourself, you did the right thing for him and he would have known he was loved.

You are amongst friends on this forum, keep talking to us. People will understand your feelings.

When you feel ready, we have a section called 'Rainbow Bridge' where people post memorials to their lost friends.

I hope you can take comfort from the forum.

I'm sorry for your loss :cry:

Try not to blame yourself, rabbits are delicate creatures and can go downhill very quickly. Sometimes things like these just happen and there's nothing you can really do. It sounds like you did the best you could for Cooper, and I'm sure he knew that you loved him very much :(

My Boris passed away suddenly in January last year, he had been poorly for a while but seemed to be feeling better. Then one afternoon my mum came back from work and found him dead :cry: It was horrible. I wasn't even there at the time and didn't even get the chance to say goodbye. I miss him so much :( Things do get easier as time goes by but I know there'll always be a little Boris-shaped hole in my heart.

Sending some virtual hugs your way xxx

Thanks for your support everyone. I'm trying not to be overly emotional about it but they really are part of our families aren't they?

Living without him feels like a nightmare, especially since he was such a healthy and happy boy. It just makes it all the worse knowing that and guilt trips me into thinking that if I did something differently he could have been saved :(

My poor boy x

Try to remember this too. Rabbits don't know they could live so long - they just live in the moment. Happy and healthy and without suffering is a good life.

I am so sorry :cry: Acute bloat really is a horrendous condition and even with virtually instant Veterinary attention the outcome is all too often tragic :cry: I doubt that there was anything you could have done to prevent his passing. I wont quote any platitudes about time being a healer and that the pain of loss lessens. Personally I dont think it does. We just have to find ways to live with the loss and those ways will be unique to each person. For me I have to keep going for my remaining Rabbits. Their reliance on me for everything means that I cant just curl up in a corner, but there are times when I have to fight so hard not to do just that.

If you feel able to maybe you could post a tribute to Cooper in the Rainbow Bridge section of this forum. Some people find this helps, but again it is a very personal decision and some feel that they do not want to do this. That too is absolutely fine.

RIP Cooper, you were clearly a very dear and special friend xx

I'm so sorry you lost him :cry: there's no right or wrong time to get another bunny, whenever you feel ready is fine. Adopting a new bunny would give you something positive to focus on, and it won't mean you are trying to replace Cooper, it gives you a new life to cherish :love:

Sending hugs xx

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply to my post.

It's really consoling to know that other people know how horrible it feels. I hope time has helped you all to get over your losses and are enjoying your bunnies to the max.

It's still very hard to get over what happened but im trying really hard to come to terms with it. My main worry is for when I go back to my home and realise that he isn't there anymore. I'm fearing for the worst as it will only hit home then.

Apologies for the long and emotional msgs :(

Back