• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help needed for 5 rabbits. FUMING.

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
Today me and a friend went to see someone who wanted help with rehoming 6 rabbits. apparently she had rescued them from being pts because a breeder didn't want them any more. I'm unsure how true this is.

The rabbits were meant to be 5 and 6 months old and all males apart from one. The rabbits are being kept in TINY accommodation but the people are trying their best with limited knowledge.
We sexed them and it turns out that there are 5 girls and 1 boy. Straight away we knew they were far younger than 6 months old. I took one look at the boy and knew we needed to get him out of there. He had nystagmus and was listing to one side and shivering. Another looked a little worse for wear so we took that one too. Apparently they had rehomed the parents and on had a severe head tilt. The poor rabbit has not been seen by a vets but as it has now gone to a different home, there's nothing we can do. :cry:

We took the two babies to the vets straight form the house and the vet diagnosed E.C (which we suspected) although the vet felt that they would recover. They were also treated for mites and the vet suspects they are about 8-9 weeks old. This is actually good because it means the girl will probably not be pregnant.

Now there are 5 rabbits at the house which most likely have E.C. The girl wanted to keep one of them but I feel she doesn't understand rabbits enough t cope with one. I think she is in for a shock when she realises what is involved with rabbits, I'm hoping to convince her to give him up. The people who have them have no idea about rabbits but we have tried to advise them best we can and promised to try and find homes/rescue space. We have told them all need to be treated for E.C and mites etc. I know it is highly unlikely anybody will take these buns on but could anybody help?

They really are high priority. They are all healthy so far apart from the little one with the nystagmus. Their teeth are healthy and they are all bright and alert and very curious. It's a pretty desperate situation so I really hope somebody can help. They are most likely nethie x lionheads.

I am absolutely exhausted so please excuse any spelling mistakes or things that don't make sense.

Last edited:
Oh goodness, vegan_bunny you must be exhausted. :(

I so wish I could help with the situation. You're rather far from me, I sincerely hope someone can help. What a situation.

For what it's worth, well done on acting for these precious bunny souls. xx

On top of this, I found a sick, baby hedgehog today as well. :roll: Currently in my run and crappy hutch and was absolutely starving. He's going to the vets tomorrow at some point.

I forgot to add that I can transport them a few hours away from me.

I think these babies will end up being put down if nobody does anything. :cry:

Sadly I have nowhere to put them. I'd love to take them but I just can't, I'm so sorry :cry: I'm only down the road from you too, which makes it harder to say that I can't help. I feel quite mean. Can't you take them to a rehoming centre perhaps, one that would look after them until they're old enough to move on? They are absolutely gorgeous.

Well done. Sorry that I cant help. Already at my limit and may have to move (unexpectedly) in a couple of months ...

They all look soooooooo cute. I do hope you find somewhere for them.

Sadly I have nowhere to put them. I'd love to take them but I just can't, I'm so sorry :cry: I'm only down the road from you too, which makes it harder to say that I can't help. I feel quite mean. Can't you take them to a rehoming centre perhaps, one that would look after them until they're old enough to move on? They are absolutely gorgeous.

Which rehoming centres? There are none around here, as you know. :cry:

On top of this, I found a sick, baby hedgehog today as well. :roll: Currently in my run and crappy hutch and was absolutely starving. He's going to the vets tomorrow at some point.

Surely not?! :shock: Why? Wouldn't a rescue centre take them?

Surely not?! :shock: Why? Wouldn't a rescue centre take them?

There's only the RSPCA and they are no taking animals in any more because they are full. If you can find me a good rescue centre that will take on these babies then I would be forever in your debt. Sadly, I don't think anybody will take them on, especially with the risk of E.C.

I can't take them on. I have nowhere for them and I can't put my own buns at risk. :cry:

Oh goodness, your reserves are really being called on. :(

I can't bear the thought of these little ones being put down. :cry:

So these are the poor little mites Sophia was talking about? :( I can't help as I have no room and I'm too far away, plus I could t risk EC as I already have a health-compromised bun. I really hope something can be sorted :(

Unfortunately all buns are still needing a home, although the two that are currently with me are out of immediate danger and are being treated, Mum has put her foot down and said fosters only. Unfortunately, she's the boss, although she seemed to be on a wobble over everything tonight. It's just been hectic.

Little ones seem to be settling in well and are pooping and nomming on hay, although they don't seem too sure what to make of apple leaves and twigs! :lol: The little boy seems to be worse than his sister, but he seems a sprightly little thing and I think he will be just fine.

Unfortunately all buns are still needing a home, although the two that are currently with me are out of immediate danger and are being treated, Mum has put her foot down and said fosters only. Unfortunately, she's the boss, although she seemed to be on a wobble over everything tonight. It's just been hectic.

Little ones seem to be settling in well and are pooping and nomming on hay, although they don't seem too sure what to make of apple leaves and twigs! :lol: The little boy seems to be worse than his sister, but he seems a sprightly little thing and I think he will be just fine.

We'll work on your Mam. I bet she'll come round eventually! :lol: But, even so, they are safe now and that is all that matters. We just need somebody to help the other 5.

In other news, the hedgehog is quite poorly and will need a vet tomorrow at the latest. He's eaten and curled up to go to sleep. He is very, very wheezy. :(

I'm fairly close but I am worried about the risk to my bunnies =(

I might have been able to provide temporary accommodation but with the risk I don't think I could...
I hope they get sorted soon, poor bunnies.

Apart from the nystagmus boy are the other 4 healthy on appearance and have they already started on panacur as a precaution?

Does the little lad just had nystagmus or does he have head tilt aswell? What meds is he on?

Apart from the nystagmus boy are the other 4 healthy on appearance and have they already started on panacur as a precaution?

Does the little lad just had nystagmus or does he have head tilt aswell? What meds is he on?

The others all seemed healthy but did look to possibly have a mild case of mites. They were all very bright and hopping about happily, periscoping and generally looked to be in good nick.

The little boy (I think RampantRabbits is calling him Bilbo) has panacur but I think she is trying to get some metacam because we weren't given any at the vets. I did ask about it but the vet said she didn't want to give him lots of drugs. She is ringing today after work to ask for a dosage. He also was given Xeno for his mites. He had the start of a tilt and was very wobbly on his feet but was interested in his surroundings and munching hay, he was even trying to groom the Xeno off his sister before we separated them.
Today RampantRabbits text me to say he looks a lot brighter and much less wobbly. He loves his apple sticks and hay and even managed to periscope. :thumb:

The girl (Isla) still seems to be ok with no signs of the disease. She is also on a course of panacur.

The girl who rescued the buns has told us she is getting an appointment for the others to be treated for E.C at the vets we recommended. Whether she does remains to be seen but I told her that she needs to take them ASAP if they have any chance of being rehomed/fostered/given rescue space. RampantRabbits is in contact with her so I will be able to give you more info on this when she hears from the girl. We are a little concerned because the girl rang a different vets and was told that there isn't much point because E.C is so hard to treat. :? We don't want them to think there is no hope and to have them all pts.

Obviously vet is best course of action, but failing that you can buy Panacur atleast without a prescription so you may be able to persuade her to start them on a course. If cost is an issue the 10% liquid might work out cheaper as its multiple bunnies. I've always used 0.2ml per kg.

Bunnies naturally carry mites but if the mites are starting to cause problems because there are too many this usually means that the immune system is low. Similarly lots of bunnies carry EC but only display symptoms when the immune system has been weakened. Its probably another reason vet is a good shout as the EC may be secondary to something else going on. I'm not a vet so this is just from personal experience but I'd be tempted to include some enchinea to try and boost the immune system a bit and help them fight this.

If you don't already know you need to bleach clean on days 21 and 28 of treatment to stop them re-infecting themselves.

I really wish I could be more helpful.

Today me and a friend went to see someone who wanted help with rehoming 6 rabbits. apparently she had rescued them from being pts because a breeder didn't want them any more. I'm unsure how true this is.

The rabbits were meant to be 5 and 6 months old and all males apart from one. The rabbits are being kept in TINY accommodation but the people are trying their best with limited knowledge.
We sexed them and it turns out that there are 5 girls and 1 boy. Straight away we knew they were far younger than 6 months old. I took one look at the boy and knew we needed to get him out of there. He had nystagmus and was listing to one side and shivering. Another looked a little worse for wear so we took that one too. Apparently they had rehomed the parents and on had a severe head tilt. The poor rabbit has not been seen by a vets but as it has now gone to a different home, there's nothing we can do. :cry:

We took the two babies to the vets straight form the house and the vet diagnosed E.C (which we suspected) although the vet felt that they would recover. They were also treated for mites and the vet suspects they are about 8-9 weeks old. This is actually good because it means the girl will probably not be pregnant.

Now there are 5 rabbits at the house which most likely have E.C. The girl wanted to keep one of them but I feel she doesn't understand rabbits enough t cope with one. I think she is in for a shock when she realises what is involved with rabbits, I'm hoping to convince her to give him up. The people who have them have no idea about rabbits but we have tried to advise them best we can and promised to try and find homes/rescue space. We have told them all need to be treated for E.C and mites etc. I know it is highly unlikely anybody will take these buns on but could anybody help?

They really are high priority. They are all healthy so far apart from the little one with the nystagmus. Their teeth are healthy and they are all bright and alert and very curious. It's a pretty desperate situation so I really hope somebody can help. They are most likely nethie x lionheads.

I am absolutely exhausted so please excuse any spelling mistakes or things that don't make sense.

aww bless them, yeah you must be exhausted! they look really cute and I hope they are better soon x

Hi veganbunny,
Firstly well done for getting involved to try to help.
May be worth a try contacting camp nibble at Leeds, they rehome bunnies, and give a forever home to buns with health issues which mean they can't be rehomed. They do come on RU but not very often I don't think, so maybe contact them via their website.
Good luck :thumb:

Last edited:
Back