• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Behavior help please?

icklemunch

Young Bun
Betsy is my 3 year old Mini lop. She's spayed and free roam house bun. I've had her from a baby and she is my baby. She's my first bunny.
Barney is my 12 month old Mini lop cross. He came from a rescue almost a month ago and is neutered.

Bonding has gone ok. No aggression but no loved up buns either. They do eat together and now and again lie near to each other.

Need some help re Barneys behavior. I did ask for a laid back older bun as Betsy is very chilled. Barney is not that. Very boisterous,playful etc which is how it should be. Always upto no good!However he is a pain re Betsy. He does groom her, she hasn't him. But he literally annoys her non stop. Doesn't so much hump as she will run away, but as soon as she tries to eat or have10 mins peace he is over pawing/scratching her and its getting to the point if he comes near her she will move away. Is this all normal? Hes a lovely bun, i don't want to have to take him back to the rescue it would break my heart, i'm just worried he's not the bun for Betsy.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Are they housed in an indoor cage? I have never had this problem so just trying to work out what might be causing him to do this.

Nope.Free roam. It's really not nice. I'm having to push him off her now when he does it as i'm not having him stoppong her from eating. Don't know if it helps but he is prone to bite me too when i have had to pick him up, not hard more a hard nibble.

Any chance of a video?

How are you feeding? Try scatter feeding - spread the food out across the whole area. It's good enrichment plus if they want the tasty stuff they have to concentrate on finding it and not bugging other bunnies present.

Do you know how long ago he was neutered? If it wasn't long before you got him then he could have a few hormones left, plus new home, plus new companion they can be a little unsettled even after three weeks. Also if he was split from other rabbits young and hasn't had a lot of social contact he may just have very bad manors.

Thank you for your replies.

They have both been munching on hay together fine this afternoon and had a nap together. He was bonded to another Mini lop doe but as neither was neutered along came baby bunnies, so they were handed into rescue and split up. I will get a video later on as nearly veg time. Although it isn't constant its now and again. He mainly does it when she doesn't want to play and is having a nap.

He was neutered two weeks before i got him so will be nearly 6 weeks. I'm hoping he will settle down with time as he's lovely.

Does this mean he is the dominant bun as i'm yet to work that one out? He always does the grooming, will try to hump her but she has doesn't stand for that and will paw and sctratch at her.

Last edited:
I think you will have to take into consideration that he was previously bonded with another rabbit, plus he mated with her etc. Then they were split up! It's a lot for a bunny to cope with lots of big changes in his life.

I took a rabbit from a similar background and it has taken about 6 months for him to settle down, get over his past experience, now he is ready for bonding.

Perhaps you will have to wait a while, then he will be more ready to bond again with your female.

Back