• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I add another bunny?

Glingle

Warren Veteran
I have a bonded pair a male lionhead cross and a female netherland dwarf, obviously both have been neutered. They've been together for almost 5 years since they were both about 6 months old. I want to get another netherland dwarf as I love them so much (don't worry I love both my buns the same as they're so lovely). Ideally I'd like a baby lilac netherland dwarf but would get a rescue bun, seen some being given away approx 2 years old.
The buns have a 6x3 section of a shed with 24hr access to a 6x8 run, but I could make that bigger. Do I risk upsetting the bond they have by adding another bun - they do suffer from referred aggression. Ideally if one of them passes away I don't want the other to be alone so if I get another bun now, that shouldn't happen. I just don't know if it's worth upsetting them.
I guess I know what I should really do, but I just want another bun, anyone want to talk me out of it?

Personally I am not fond of Trio bonds as IMO one Rabbit is always an outsider.

If you do get a third Rabbit then it is always important to consider if you could cope with worst case scenario- the pair fall out and you end up with 3 single Rabbits.

Referred aggression can occur if the pair see/smell the new Rabbit.

Good luck with whatever you decide :D

So a quad then? :D or 2 pairs? The buns seem to have been ok at boarding where they could see other buns but fought like mad until I realised a wild bun was getting into the garden and evicted it.

Personally I wouldn't, no. If a pair of bunnies is happily bonded, I don't think it's fair on them to upset the apple cart and potentially ruin the bond (sounds dramatic, but it can happen!) especially in a pair which have been together for so many years and are well established as a pair.

I remember Anne McBride (bunny behaviour guru) tackling the question of not wanting a bun to be alone when the partner dies, and she said can you imagine how your OH might respond if you came home with a new partner one day and said that you were doing it because he might die first and so you thought it was better to get another one lined up now. And the choice of bun for the remaining one left behind might differ from the one you'd choose to add now, depending on which one is left and their age, gender, health and personality at that time - it has also been known for group bonds to break down when a bun dies, because the group dynamic changes.

You may have guessed, but my opinion would be 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'!!

I know this is guinea pigs, but I thought I would add to the last post.

I did this with guinea pigs years ago, because I didn't think one of my girls had long (as it happened, she lived for ages afterwards, which was great!) They did well as a trio, but as soon as the oldest one died the group dynamic changed and two two remaining piggies (who were supposed to have a seamless lovely relationship after the older one had died) fell out. And this was guinea pigs, who are normally easier to bond than bunnies.

If you have the space, time & money I would go for 2 new buns if you are really set on a new addition :) For the reasons given above, it could cause your two to fight and fall out.

It would probably cause less stress for you and which ever bun sadly gets left behind, to bond with a new friend when the time comes

Last edited:
If you have the space, time & money I would go for 2 new buns if you are really set on a new addition :) For the reasons given above, it could cause your two to fight and fall out.

It would probably cause less stress for you and which ever bun sadly gets left behind, to bond with a new friend when the time comes

:thumb:

Yep, you're all right. I know the best option would be to get a second pair, it just means that I really should wait until we eventually move house and can build a second larger run/shed set up.
I'm just being selfish wanting buns now and hubby says I can have more buns if I want which doesn't help. Oh well will just carry on drooling over the nethies that need re homing for a bit longer...

Back