• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is this normal ?

Pets mum

Wise Old Thumper
Hi, can anyone advise me if it's normal for a bunny to do a few cecotropes during the day ? I thought they only did these at night, but am probably wrong. My 1 year old girly dwarf lop has done a few today and left them. She is drinking ok and has eaten her pellets this morning, and is now out on grass with access to hay. She seems fine and her bum looks clean. Obviously if it continues she will be taken to vets tomorrow, but am a bit worried. Thanks for reading !

As far as I know they do them anytime of day and night. One of my bunnies does have some troubles with leaving ceotropes occasionally. Has she been pooing normally too? Obviously it's really important to check her bottom regularly in this heat

Yes she's been doing lovely normal poos as well-hates having her bum checked-feisty little madam ! :lol: if she keeps doing them I'll pop her to the vets just to be on the safe side. I was going to try them with a little bit basil today, but maybe I'll wait a while. Thanks for reply :wave:

Has she had anything new introduced to her diet recently? I've had to completely cut veg out of my girls diet now as it makes it much worse. I do find that eating plenty of fresh grass actually helps her not leave so many cecos

She did have some broccoli yesterday which I haven't given her for ages. She's out on the grass now in her pen. Just started to pour down, I've had to run out and pulla cover over, talk about Wimbledon ! :lol: I've checked the pen again, just nice round normal poos, hopefully it was a one off. The more I read about bunnies, the more I realise i don't know - love them to bits tho :love:

Mine definitely eat cecotrophes during the day. I think when they are referred to as 'night poos' that's bunny night which happens twice a day if you see what I mean. Very occasionally I see them in the litter tray or around the house - my nose leads me to them quickly. I've had success pointing these put to bunny to see them tuck in and clean up. Think they need to be very fresh for that to work.

Ah ok thanks for that, I did assume night poos meant just that. I learn something new bunny wise every day !

I think excess cecotropes are a sign a bunnies diet is too rich or they are eating too much. Whenever I see my bunny leave cecotropes on a regular basis I view it as a sign that I am feeding too many pellets. When I cut back on pellets it usually stops.

Back