• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shed and aviary

little-laura

Wise Old Thumper
Guys we just moved into the house we have a shed and need a aviary my Jono dsnt want the buns to have access from the avairy when were not here incase foxes or other predictors get in...

It's caused us to have an argument...

Because I am upset the buns are going outside as it is and not being indoors anymore they can't only be confide to the shed when were not here it's not fair on them by now I'm fearing about foxes getting them if I give them perm access....

How did you guys make your shed and avairy combos safe?

My aviary was enclosed on all sides with solid aviary panels, including the floor. Rolls of turf were laid over the top of the floor panels

it will be on concrete

He is saying foxes could tare through the wooden aviary panels

I'm just wondering if anyone else who have aviary and shed combos worried about this and what they did to make it stronger

I said we would reinforce the mesh with stronger stuff but I don't know what to do to make the wooden frame stronger?

I haven't bought an aviary yet does anyone have suggestions on the best kind to buy?

Thanks guys

someone on here has a run made of solid metal, possibly security fencing.
If you make the run of nice thick timber you should be absolutely fine and you could always get those very thick grid panels instead of mesh if you wanted to be extra careful.

The safest thing to do in my opinion is to get very thick, good quality timber and to double mesh on the inside. Foxes and other predators find it harder to push mesh off when it's attached on the opposite side than they do to pull it towards them, as they can't get their teeth under the mesh and pull. One layer of mesh should be 1/2 x 1/2 inch galvanised weld mesh and 19g (or 16g or better), and the other can be whatever you fancy - perhaps a very thick and large mesh might be good if you're very concerned? Two layers of the same mesh should be very secure though. The mesh should be nailed with u-nails as well as the staples that it might come pre-attached with. The more u-nails and staples the better.

Make sure to have big bolts to any external doors, especially at the bottom. Predators are generally at floor level so you need a bolt there. You can attach caribiner clips to the bolts too which should make them pretty fox-proof, although I'm not sure how possible that'd be with your disability? I got the 60mm one from here and it's very easy to open - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/316-STAIN...mbing_Mountaineering&var=&hash=item27d35b0367

Additionally you could screw an external kickboard of timber around 1/2 or 1 ft tall around the outside of the aviary or/and screw timber to the inside to clamp the mesh in place at the bottom as that's where it's most at risk.

A bright security light aimed at the run would also be a good idea, but try to place it so that the bunnies don't set it off all the time!

I'd also have the 'door' between aviary and shed as a runaround standard size door. They're designed so that a fox can't fit through, so it'll give an extra layer of protection. A double door will allow you to shut it off from either side which is handy.

Personally I wouldn't bother with all of these, it's just a load of ideas for you. Personally I'd probably just go for the strong bolts + clips definitely, the runaround door and the security light; and the double mesh if you're very concerned.

I would definitely go for a wooden timber construction over a metal aviary unless you're able to get the metal aviary in 1/2 x 1/2 inch mesh - the risk from cat scratches are not worth the risk. You could get the metal aviary/dog run and mesh over it with smaller mesh though, if you feel that'd be better.

As long as the mesh is no thinner than 19guage and the holes are no bigger than 1/2 x 1 inch then I think it's okay. On concrete you may want to bolt the panels to the floor

Thank you so much, I'm caring down now I got worked up... It she first time I'll be putting bunnies outside so it's scary for me...

I will pass all this info onto my dad who will be helping us adapt

:)

You are all awesome

As long as the timber is thick and not cheap thin swan timber with 19G 13x13mm would be best with 16G.

16G is thick wire and much harder to take off, it also depends on what is used to attach the mesh to the timber. You ideally want crown staples and not normal staples that if they used staple gun. Otherwise the U nails are the ones to use and make sure they are around 20mm long.

My aviary panels are the metal ones from dogrunpanels.co.uk. I got the 5cm square mesh and just cable tied my old run panels to the inside so the gaps are small up to about 2feet up. The panels just bolt together so very easy to erect. They are not only fox proof I'd say they were bear proof!
Here's a pic of mine.
18f42f53b899baa2e5a6a3fb7a974b48_zpsfb4ed3dd.jpg

My aviary panels are the metal ones from dogrunpanels.co.uk. I got the 5cm square mesh and just cable tied my old run panels to the inside so the gaps are small up to about 2feet up. The panels just bolt together so very easy to erect. They are not only fox proof I'd say they were bear proof!
Here's a pic of mine.
The panels look great but anything could dig in/out :eek:

In our new set up, we are attaching a run to our shed and laying mesh across the floor so that they can't dig out or have anything dig in (then laying turf on top.) The run will sit on concrete slabs so that it's level and adds a bit more protection. The mesh on our panels is double meshed, which is probably unnecessary but it will help me sleep better at night! We are also having "kickboards" added, which are basically a couple of pieces of shiplap timber at the bottom of the panels. We've had this so that the bunnies aren't as easily spooked by passing cats etc, it would be harder for a predator to get past the wood and double mesh, and it keeps the hay and poop in the run :D

I've spent HOURS fretting over how to make the shed/run combo as safe as possible, so I feel your worry myself! I shut the buns in at night, and them shut in a shed is really safe during the night time. During the day, if anything spooks them, they tend to run inside anyway.

My bunnies used to live indoors and when I first put them outside, I tortured myself with visions of gruesome happenings, but they've been outside in a shed & run set up now for 2 years and *touchwood* have been fine and LOVING it.

You'll do your best by your bunnies and I'm sure they will be safe and happy, just take your time to find a solution that works for you :wave:

Back