• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on sneezing

kgNeville

New Kit
My lionhead Neville has been a bit sneezy again of late. He's been like it twice before in the past year and sneezed out a big white bogey, so each time I've taken him to the vet & they've prescribed a 5 day course of antibiotics just in case but always say his chest sounds clear. He's been sneezing again, not a lot, and on Monday I had to fish out a big white bogey again but seen nothing since apart from the odd sneeze here & there. He needed his nails clipping so I took him along to the vets yesterday. I explained what had gone on & she (a different vet - never seen the same 1 twice! Not by choice either) had a good listen to his chest. She said it sounded clear and sent me on my way saying if he sneezed out another bogey to come back to them. I haven't seen anything but he does sneeze every so often. He is moultin at the minute & it's really warm so having to keep him in a cooler room through the day so didn't know if the hair flying about everywhere or the heat could be affecting him. Really don't know what to do - do I just play it by ear like the vet says? He absolutely hates the car & hates being picked up even more so every vet visit is a stress for all concerned! He hates his feet touching so can't tell if there's any discharge on his paws :-( apart from that he seem ok in himself. What do I do?

This sounds just like my Barney - he has sneezing fits and big white bogeys, and discharge on his front paws, but yet his chest is clear.

After trying loads of different short courses of antibiotics and none of them working, I found a rabbit-savvy vet who took a swab of his snot and found pasturella and bordatella in his respiratory system. What I was told is that either Baytril or Septrim can treat these but he would need a long course of antibiotics (at least 2 months) to get rid of the bacteria completely. We tried a long course of Baytril and it helped but did not completely stop the sneezing. It looks like it is something he will have to live with for the rest of his life, and if and when it flares up he will have to go back onto the Baytril.

I would see if you can find a vet who is knowledgable about rabbits near you, and explain his symptoms to them. Mine suggested a few different courses of action for a sneezy rabbit - taking a swab, x-rays, blood tests etc. If they can't cure it completely then they should be able to prescribe something to try and ease his sneezing.

Barney is now 1 and has had this all his life, but he is a happy and healthy bun and it doesn't really affect him much, at least at the moment.

Unfortunately a short course of antibiotics-ie just 5 days- is seldom of any use when treating upper respiratory tract infections. The course needs to continue for several days AFTER all clinical symptoms resolve. So the course of treatment may need to continue for two weeks or more. Otherwise there is a risk that some of the 'hardier' bacteria will remain and antibiotic resistance can develop

Lionhead Rabbits are very prone to Dental problems. Nasal discharge and sneezing can be a symptom of Dental problems that include tooth root elongation. Does he ever have runny eyes ?

One thing you could try is to ask the Vet if Nevile can have a mucolytic-eg Bisolvon- to thin out any plugs of mucus in his nasal passages. The Bisolvon can be sprinkled on food, so handling him to medicate him may not be needed.

It is not always the right thing to go in all guns blazing with antibiotics. There is an issue with over using them, just as occurs in Human Medicine. But if more mucus plugs occur or the sneezing continues then Nevile does need to be seen by the Vet again as if there is active infection there is a risk of it worsening and moving down onto his lungs.

Back