• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Snugglesafe instant cool pads

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
Has anybody tried these? I had a look through old threads but it's not mentioned much. Do you think these are worth buying instead of the ice pods? The ice pods seem brill, but obviously they won't last long in this heat.

Need something other than a damp towel for my hot buns!

I bought one of these yesterday - Barney has ripped it apart overnight and eaten the plastic casing around the edges :shock: There's white powder in the inside which has spilled out too. (I've been keeping my eye on him today and he seems totally fine so don't think he's managed to eat much of it.)

If you get one I would say don't make my mistake and only let them use it when supervised. It surprised me as Barney's not normally a chewer, he leaves all the furniture and carpets etc. alone and sticks to his straw/wooden toys :? It must have tasted good! :roll:

I bought one of these yesterday - Barney has ripped it apart overnight and eaten the plastic casing around the edges :shock: There's white powder in the inside which has spilled out too. (I've been keeping my eye on him today and he seems totally fine so don't think he's managed to eat much of it.)

If you get one I would say don't make my mistake and only let them use it when supervised. It surprised me as Barney's not normally a chewer, he leaves all the furniture and carpets etc. alone and sticks to his straw/wooden toys :? It must have tasted good! :roll:

Kor. Well it certainly wouldn't last more than 5 mins with mine either. If I can't leave them unsupervised with it then it's a pointless investment. Oh well! I just thought they sounded pretty good. VetUk don't sell the ice pods, strangely. :? I will have to check Viovet, then!

Flipping heck, nowhere seems to sell them. Never mind. I guess they'll just have to do with a fan and a damp towel. :roll:

My buns have them and they are BRILLIANT!
Try Amazon.

I tried it myself to see how good they were and ended up buying another one for myself! I sleep on it at night.
I cannot stress how effect they are!

One of mine is a chewer too but he hasn't chewed it - think he appreciates it too much :)

My buns have them and they are BRILLIANT!
Try Amazon.

I tried it myself to see how good they were and ended up buying another one for myself! I sleep on it at night.
I cannot stress how effect they are!

One of mine is a chewer too but he hasn't chewed it - think he appreciates it too much :)

Mine don't appreciate anything. :roll: They have been in their new hutch this evening for about 2 hours and they have already started turning into wood shavings. I know they will chew it because they have shredded their vet beds, carpet, towels etc. :lol:

N&T are big fabric chewers but have so far left their snugglesafe instant cool pads mostly alone. They've nibbled a little of the edges but haven't got into the bit where the chemicals are. I definitely would not recommend leaving them in direct sunlight though, as I washed one (thanks to someone weeing on it) and left it on top of the run, and it expanded and leaked. This was in direct sunlight for many hours though :oops:

N&T do actually use their instant cool pads whereas they ignore their ice pods and frozen water bottles, so I'd recommend giving them a go. I think they like that they're flat and not uncomfy. They're also using some tiles which I've put down too, so that might be worth a try for yours if you haven't tried already? They can't chew them... in theory :shock:

N&T are big fabric chewers but have so far left their snugglesafe instant cool pads mostly alone. They've nibbled a little of the edges but haven't got into the bit where the chemicals are. I definitely would not recommend leaving them in direct sunlight though, as I washed one (thanks to someone weeing on it) and left it on top of the run, and it expanded and leaked. This was in direct sunlight for many hours though :oops:

N&T do actually use their instant cool pads whereas they ignore their ice pods and frozen water bottles, so I'd recommend giving them a go. I think they like that they're flat and not uncomfy. They're also using some tiles which I've put down too, so that might be worth a try for yours if you haven't tried already? They can't chew them... in theory :shock:

Would they still work if you put a towel or something over the top of them? I presume not..just thinking if that would help distract them from chewing it.

The reason I wanted one was because I know they won't use the icepods. A damp towel is the only thing they use. I think they'd really use the cool pads but I'm worried that the stuff inside is not suitable to be chewed. :? I've also tried the frozen water bottles and they won't go near them. :roll: They do have a tile but it's only small. They also have laminate flooring to lay on. I just know that my room gets very warm, even with the window wide open and the fan on (it's a south facing room) it doesn't really do much.

I am worried about Xena as she really doesn't deal with the heat well. :( I might just get one and see how they go with it. They sound ideal and they aren't expensive. Hmm.

Would they still work if you put a towel or something over the top of them? I presume not..just thinking if that would help distract them from chewing it.

The reason I wanted one was because I know they won't use the icepods. A damp towel is the only thing they use. I think they'd really use the cool pads but I'm worried that the stuff inside is not suitable to be chewed. :? I've also tried the frozen water bottles and they won't go near them. :roll: They do have a tile but it's only small. They also have laminate flooring to lay on. I just know that my room gets very warm, even with the window wide open and the fan on (it's a south facing room) it doesn't really do much.

I am worried about Xena as she really doesn't deal with the heat well. :( I might just get one and see how they go with it. They sound ideal and they aren't expensive. Hmm.

When I go outside in the next hour or so I'll check whether it's still effective with a towel on top. I imagine it might work well with a damp towel on top as it'll transfer the cooling if it works the same as heat, but I'm not sure if it'll be any more effective than a damp towel on the floor :lol:

The only way that the big litre bottles work for me is when they melt and leave a puddle, which N&T walk through :roll:

The only thing I think really works for my two is wetting their ears down a few times a day. Do you put a damp towel in front/behind the fan? That will help as it'll be blowing cool damp air rather than just re-circulating the room temperature air :D

When I go outside in the next hour or so I'll check whether it's still effective with a towel on top. I imagine it might work well with a damp towel on top as it'll transfer the cooling if it works the same as heat, but I'm not sure if it'll be any more effective than a damp towel on the floor :lol:

The only way that the big litre bottles work for me is when they melt and leave a puddle, which N&T walk through :roll:

The only thing I think really works for my two is wetting their ears down a few times a day. Do you put a damp towel in front/behind the fan? That will help as it'll be blowing cool damp air rather than just re-circulating the room temperature air :D

I did try this but it didn't do anything. :roll: My fan is only a small desk fan..obviously I can't have any cables in the room so it's battery powered.

Anybody recommend a good fan that won't blow my buns away but will be effective?!

Shading the area so it doesn't heat up, spray the floor with water (which will cool it) and having something frozen to reduce the temp are the most effective options. A frozen water bottle on the top of the run/cage will cool the air below. It's even more effective if you contain the area in some way eg a pop up tent as then you're cooling just that section of air not the whole room/garden. Icecubes in the water bowl will have the same effect - cool the air around the bowl. They don't have to be touching it to work :)

Shading the area so it doesn't heat up, spray the floor with water (which will cool it) and having something frozen to reduce the temp are the most effective options. A frozen water bottle on the top of the run/cage will cool the air below. It's even more effective if you contain the area in some way eg a pop up tent as then you're cooling just that section of air not the whole room/garden. Icecubes in the water bowl will have the same effect - cool the air around the bowl. They don't have to be touching it to work :)

Hmm. The problem is that they won't go in tents or huts etc. I could try the carry case, they are obsessed with that when I don't want them to go in it. :roll: I put that out in their run with a damp towel in it and they seem to enjoy it.

Spraying water isn't really as option since I have carpet and laminate flooring in my bedroom. I did try to put a cold water bottle in front and behind the fan to create cool air but it didn't seem to work.

I thought ice cubes in the water bowl was a no no? Doesn't it upset their tums? I used to do this until I saw that and now I won't.

I don't think icecubes in summer is going to make the water any colder in temperature to outdoor rabbits drink in winter, so I don't really see it being an issue :)

Just having frozen bottles in the room generally will cool it. You can also chill ceramic tiles in the fridge - which is less chewable :lol:

I don't think icecubes in summer is going to make the water any colder in temperature to outdoor rabbits drink in winter, so I don't really see it being an issue :)

Just having frozen bottles in the room generally will cool it. You can also chill ceramic tiles in the fridge - which is less chewable :lol:

That is an excellent point about the water. Hmm..I think I will put some in, then. They love cold water and I don't think it's chill the water more than what it comes out of the tap..it just helps to keep it cool for longer.

Chilling ceramic tiles might be a problem...trying to fit anything in our fridge is a problem. :lol: I will certainly attempt to do it, though.

I'm liking these ideas. They are much cheaper than buying a cooling pad. :lol: :thumb:

You might find just sticking the tiles somewhere cool/shady outside overnight would make them feel pretty good.

Back