• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding advice please......

vicky_26

Warren Scout
So, the rabbits have been together for about 30 mins.

Within ten mins of going in there was some fur pulling and a bit of chasing. I distracted them (little spray of water) once apart stroked and praised them and gave them a treat to distract.

Little while later there was another little session of fur pulling and chasing.

Once again got them apart and Parker sat on one corner and Hugo another. I then have them some greens to distract them again..... Hugo tucked in... Parker started to eat and then stopped when she was aware of Hugo again and pretty much just sat almost shaking. She seems really scared/nervous.

Hugo went up to her a couple of times and did once take a bit of her food and she just sat there letting him do it and not reacting.

She's now eating and Hugo is sitting almost ignoring her. She's now grooming herself.im not sure if I should make the space even smaller cos they are just sitting apart.

I knew it wasn't going to be easy but it's really hard holding my nerve when they did go for it the couple times, and it's so hard knowing what is ok and just the process and when/if they should be split up.

Update: there's been a bit of humping (Hugo on Parker) and Parker is just sitting hunched letting him. I have also seen a little grooming by Hugo on Parker.

Is It ok for Parker to appear a bit scared and just sitting in one corner? She did just venture over to Hgo but retreated to the corner when Hugo reacted to her.

Last edited:
It's very normal for the female to be scared of the male. I take this as a good sign and it will last up to 3 days then she will start getting used to him and become more confident. I wouldn't reduce the space as I like my rabbits to be able to run away if they want to.

It sounds good - are you going to keep them together tonight?

Thanks for the response!

I have tried to read up as much as I could but I couldn't find anywhere about one of the rabbits being scared!

Hugo is occasionally grooming Parker but she will not groom him. When Parker was living with Poppy (my bridge girl)Poppy used to hump and groom her...never the other way round so I am guessing Parker will also not groom Hugo.

I just sat in the pen with them for a few mins and stroked them both and they seem to have calmed a little and Parker is moving around a little more. She's currently eating hay with Hugo grooming her.

I am in two minds about tonight. Either sleep on the couch or divide the puppy but not sure if the later would re-start the whole process. At least (touch wood I am sure I will speak to soon) there is no fur pulling/chasing any more.

I hate being so anxious!

Glad things seem to be settling, if you can I would sleep next to them, I'm sure you'll wake up if there's anything kicking off, unless you are a heavy sleeper :lol:

Back