• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My first post.

Hi. I have recently got a new Mini Lop boy which Is nearly 9 weeks old. I intent to train him as an indoor rabbit and would like to clear a few things up as a lot of different advice is given around the internet. We have his cage downstairs in the living room which is where he'll spend most of his time and I am unsure to where I should put the litter tray. Should I put it in the cage, leave it out somewhere or not bother with one as his cage is down here? I would also appreciate any other advice on litter training. Thanks :)

Hi. I have recently got a new Mini Lop boy which Is nearly 9 weeks old. I intent to train him as an indoor rabbit and would like to clear a few things up as a lot of different advice is given around the internet. We have his cage downstairs in the living room which is where he'll spend most of his time and I am unsure to where I should put the litter tray. Should I put it in the cage, leave it out somewhere or not bother with one as his cage is down here? I would also appreciate any other advice on litter training. Thanks :)

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Litter tray training can either take ages or be instant. Best thing that I found to do is wait until he decides where he is going to relieve himself - he'll go where he wants to and not where you want him to. Once he's decided, then put the litter tray there and that's it. He will however still poop randomly; you won't be able to stop that but as bunny poops are dry they can be swept/picked up very easily and cleanly, unlike say a dog or a cat.

We love pictures on here so add away!

PS, I love your username, by the way! :lol:

Hiya:wave: and welcome...!!!

You can maybe use a big underbed storage tray stuffed with nommy hay in the place where little bun 'goes' as bunnies tend to eat and poo while they munch.... Charming eh?

Over time he may continue to use the tray as his litter tray

Good luck, it can take ages!,

Fee x

He is a real cutie!

I agree with Fee. Get a big litter tray- as said, those storage boxes you can pick up in places like superpound (or whatever it's called! loads of cheap shops about - they are always stacked outside the door) are perfect as they have space for bunny's hay - and they do seem to poop while they eat.

He will be pooping everywhere initially- it's how they mark their territory - my rabbits still do it if I let them in a new room or a room that has been totally cleaned. If he wee's anywhere you don't want him to - either put another little tray there temporarily - until he gets used to using the litter tray, then you can slowly edge them to where you want them to go. Or clean it with white vinegar - it totally eradicates the smell so he hopefully won't go there again.

:love:..... Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! He is absolutely gorgeous... I feel a bunnynapping coming on.......

Awwwwh thanks :) He is a cute looking rabbit I must say :p He is yet to have a wee anywhere other than in his cage so I gather that is a good thing. Thanks for all the help everyone. I really appreciate it.

Yeah, if size allows, stick a box or big cat litter tray in the cage and hopefully with time, you can move the litter box to a chosen spot elsewhere,,,

All the best,, it is time consuming but persistence will pay off... Its easier once they're neutered too...

I've got a litter box for cats that I fill with paper based litter but I wasn't sure if I should put it in the cage as I was worried he would eat it. I will be getting him neutered as soon as he comes of age :D hopefully it'll all become easier then :p

I can't say that any of my buns have eaten the litter, I used wooden type cat pellets before then megazorb but now just use good old cheap paper and hay and change twice daily

Fee x

Back