• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I separate them?

adoptafosteredbunny

Warren Scout
Our new girls are acting out quite a lot and I don't know what to do with them.
They had their jabs yesterday so we are waiting two weeks to get them spayed. There has been a lot of humping eachother, we think to determine dominance in new territory. Yesterday there was very little. Today however, Winnie is getting really wound up whenever Bonnie approaches her and is reallllly squeaking/grunting lots and lots. Winnie is being very confrontational, looking head on and Bonnie, making these really loud noises and then running and wagging her tail. They still groom each other though and right now have just lay down next to each other cuddling straight after a squeaking episode! Winnie has been making these noises all week but not on the same scale as today. Before it was just mainly pre-Bonnie humping her. Bonnie bites her back whilst she does it so I can see why she would really hate it.
They've always been together so I don't want to separate them but I am worried their bond might get stretched a bit with their current behavior. I am also worried about them after their spay if they fight/hump and damage the wound.

What advice do you have? I'm finding it hard to understand how someone could of had them for a year and not wanted to sort this behavior out!

Our new girls are acting out quite a lot and I don't know what to do with them.
They had their jabs yesterday so we are waiting two weeks to get them spayed. There has been a lot of humping eachother, we think to determine dominance in new territory. Yesterday there was very little. Today however, Winnie is getting really wound up whenever Bonnie approaches her and is reallllly squeaking/grunting lots and lots. Winnie is being very confrontational, looking head on and Bonnie, making these really loud noises and then running and wagging her tail. They still groom each other though and right now have just lay down next to each other cuddling straight after a squeaking episode! Winnie has been making these noises all week but not on the same scale as today. Before it was just mainly pre-Bonnie humping her. Bonnie bites her back whilst she does it so I can see why she would really hate it.
They've always been together so I don't want to separate them but I am worried their bond might get stretched a bit with their current behavior. I am also worried about them after their spay if they fight/hump and damage the wound.

What advice do you have? I'm finding it hard to understand how someone could of had them for a year and not wanted to sort this behavior out!

My boys are currently waiting to be neutered and they have had to be separated, there was a lot of humping and rough behavior so I thought it best to separate until they are neutered and healed. They are currently in enclosures next to one another so they don't lose signs/smell of one another.

I'm going to put them back together about 3-4 weeks after the op. Sometimes its for the best. You don't want anyone getting hurt.

I separated my two for much less. I didn't want to risk them having a full blown fight. I separated the room they're in with play pen panels. It was sad to see them, but now they've been spayed, you'd never know they were separated

Thanks for your replies, I will separate them today. Luckily we have two pens and litter trays etc. Do you think it would be ok to let them out together when supervised or should they be completely separate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would keep them completely separate or you risk a fight which could lead to injuries or ruin the chances of them rebonding

Wagging their tail can mean they want to be mated with? I would do what you think best. We don't understand everything about them so have to try to do the best thing.

Wagging their tail can mean they want to be mated with? I would do what you think best. We don't understand everything about them so have to try to do the best thing.

That's so confusing cos the wagger seems to do it when she is annoyed and does it as she runs away. It actually looks really funny! I think we are doing the right thing for them in the long run even if they don't know it now :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back