• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

looking for a velveteen breeder!

cathy_321_xx

Young Bun
hi does any body breed velveteen lops? I'm askig on behalf of my friend as she is a rabbit breeder and is breeding the breed. she is trying to make a few connections near bedfordshrie, Hertfordshire and cambridgshire. if you know any please let me kno so I can tell her :) x

I don't think many people on here are into intentional breeding sorry, most people like rescue buns and don't encourage breeding :)

People will most likely be even less involved with velveteen breeding, because of the health issues that the poor things nearly always end up with :(

Last edited:
I would suggest you try to talk your friend out of adding to this breed. As has been said they suffer from various problems and are not a fantastic choice for your average rabbit owner.
Jack's Jane may be good for advice re this but not today as she has sadly just lost one of this breed :cry:

I can only reiterate what others have said regarding the health issues these rabbits suffer. If you stop to think about it, it is really quite cruel really that an animal has to suffer for it looks. Besides which there are tens of thousands of rabbits in rescues and shelters all of varying degrees of stunning-ness so really there is no need to add more bunnies to that figure.

Totally agree re breeding unnecessary with so many bunnies neglected or in rescues

But very interested to know what that breeds health problems are?

Your friends best option would be the British Rabbit Council - http://www.thebrc.org/ they govern rabbit breeding in the UK and set standards/put on shows. A rabbit show would be a good way to make local connections.

Velveteens aren't, as far as I'm aware, a recognised breed but it's likely that some people that do breed them have connections with the BRC.

The main issue with velveteens is that rex rabbits have very thin fur on the bottom of their feet which makes them prone to sore hocks (sores on the bottom of the feet) as rabbit have no pads. When the rex style fur is mixed with the added weight of an English lop sized rabbit is makes the problem even more of an issue. It maybe something breeds are working on.

Hope that helps :)

Your friends best option would be the British Rabbit Council - http://www.thebrc.org/ they govern rabbit breeding in the UK and set standards/put on shows. A rabbit show would be a good way to make local connections.

Velveteens aren't, as far as I'm aware, a recognised breed but it's likely that some people that do breed them have connections with the BRC.

The main issue with velveteens is that rex rabbits have very thin fur on the bottom of their feet which makes them prone to sore hocks (sores on the bottom of the feet) as rabbit have no pads. When the rex style fur is mixed with the added weight of an English lop sized rabbit is makes the problem even more of an issue. It maybe something breeds are working on.

Hope that helps :)

Hiya, no they aren't a recognise breed yet as there arent 100 breeders but thanks x

I would suggest you try to talk your friend out of adding to this breed. As has been said they suffer from various problems and are not a fantastic choice for your average rabbit owner.
Jack's Jane may be good for advice re this but not today as she has sadly just lost one of this breed :cry:

No they aren't very good for average owners although she takes them for regular check ups every 3-4 weeks to make sure they don't have any illnesses, ok though thanks

They are just a cross. And a cross that comes with so many problems. Have no idea why people would breed them.

hi does any body breed velveteen lops? I'm askig on behalf of my friend as she is a rabbit breeder and is breeding the breed. she is trying to make a few connections near bedfordshrie, Hertfordshire and cambridgshire. if you know any please let me kno so I can tell her :) x

There are a lot of people claiming to be breeders of Velveteen Lops. Unfortunately the majority of them are totally clueless and are breeding Rabbits destined to a life of poor health. If your friend is determined to pursue breeding Velveteens then PM me and I will let you have some more information. I am not going to post it on this Forum as it is very pro-Rescue and any talk of Breeding/Breeders does cause upset to those on the frontline of dealing with the thousands of unwanted Rabbits already here. It is completely understandable that those picking up the pieces of too many unwanted Rabbits will have a dim view of the idea of Breeding more/ buying from Breeders, regardless of the breed of the Rabbit.

Please do try to discourage your friend from embarking on breeding Velveteen Lops unless she has the support of a person who actually knows what they are doing and has removed many of the congenital health issues from this not yet Standardised Breed. There are very few Breeders of Velveteens who fall into that category. I only know of one.

Finally,personally I would not rely on the BRC to give accurate information about this.

Back