• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Calling All Those Who Have Lops- a Request

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
When you next have to take your Lop Rabbit to the Vet could you ask the Vet to have a good check in his/her ears with an otoscope, even if there are no symptoms of ear problems at all. Then would you mind reporting back on here with any findings- ie 'all OK' or 'lots of wax/debris' or 'mites' or 'pus/infection'

Thank you in advance :)

My lot (touch wood no illnesses) are not due for their vaccs until September. If I checked their ears myself with my own otoscope, would that count? I have two lops now :love: On another note, one of the big issues up here although I am not sure why that is (unless they all originated from the once source such as PAH or a dodgy breeder) Buddies Bunny Rescue found many of their lops developed or were already suffering from ear base abscesses. So that is another ear health thing I check for.

I have an otoscope at home and often have a little look to see if there are any obvious signs. Milo does have a little wax in one of his ears at the moment. Is this anything I should be immediately worried about?

He is going to the vet in a weeks time and I'm just thinking is it OK to get them to look into it then? They just look like they need cleaning to me.

A bit of wax is normal :)

If it's OK I would prefer a report back after a Vet has taken a look in the Rabbit's ears. Not suggesting that those with scopes at home are incapable, but I'd like any findings to be 'officially' documented by the Vet on the Rabbit's clinical records, not just on here.

Yes, with lops a once a week ear base check is certainly a good idea. Ear base abscesses are often painless and until they grow really large they may not be noticed as the actual ear covers them up. Of course by the time they are large enough to see without needing to feel they are big trouble.

If it's OK I would prefer a report back after a Vet has taken a look in the Rabbit's ears. Not suggesting that those with scopes at home are incapable, but I'd like any findings to be 'officially' documented by the Vet on the Rabbit's clinical records, not just on here.

Yes, with lops a once a week ear base check is certainly a good idea. Ear base abscesses are often painless and until they grow really large they may not be noticed as the actual ear covers them up. Of course by the time they are large enough to see without needing to feel they are big trouble.

No problemo :thumb: I'll have the vet take a look when I go and report back Captain Jane.

Tell me about it :cry: I felt Mischa's ears often but as both ears developed time at the same time I didn't realise something was wrong :cry:

I just want to collect some stats re Lops and ear disease, especially those found to have a problem but they had not displayed any symptoms at all.

Okay :thumb: could be interesting. Well we went 2 weeks ago with suspected mites in my mix bun (not a lop) my lops ears were checked and reported clear and clean if that helps x

Tell me about it :cry: I felt Mischa's ears often but as both ears developed time at the same time I didn't realise something was wrong :cry:

I was just at the vets with Tully (who seems to be deciding to be a full lop more frequently now) a couple of weeks ago so too late for me, but I will follow this thread as I'm sure it will be interesting.

My girls are crossed with mini lop but dont have the ears, their ears go straight up - they have their nethie ears, just a bit longer :lol:

But my first rabbit, of the same breed - had the lop ears and never had a problem with them :wave:

Molly is just recovering from an ear base abscess which required a major op and 5 weeks of penicillin injections. Luckily it was caught early and has healed really nicely. Apart from a little bald patch behind her ear you would hardly know anything had been wrong.

I would be very interested to see what your research shows Jane.

Strangely enough the only two buns of mine that have ever had ear problems, have been the only non-lops!

I think Mimzy has always had his ears checked by his vet. Certainly since his tilt. And as recently as his latest visit a few months ago he has chronic gunk in his ears that requires her to clean him just to see his drums. :( And I'd say he's a regular ear scratcher as well, my poor boy.

I'll add that most of my animals have itchy, gunky ears so I think it's an environmental cause at work. We've tested for infections and mites and only occasionally have we needed to employ treatment. (Not this last time though.)

Hope that helps. :wave:

Skye has recently had a major ear infection (as you're probably aware of as you commented on my other thread) - when the vet looked inside the ear he saw a build up of wax but this is normal in lops. It was only when she had x rays done that he could see she had a nasty inner ear infection, which required 3 flushes under GA, one week with internal antibiotic wicks and oral antibiotics to get under control and ongoing antibiotics to manage

Oh heck, this sounds like something else for to me worry about, I didn't know I should be doing this. I have 2 lops and do check for signs of ear mites, didn't know about abscesses though. Still they had a good once over by vets 2 months ago when their first year vacs were due. I'll have to read up on this I guess, bunnies- who'd have them ! :)

Back