• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I bring him in?

weedug

Mama Doe
Little Fluff is terminally ill, and a very, very nervous bun. He is really struggling with the heat. I was wondering about bringing him in, as I have an empty bedroom which is cooler than outside. But I wonder if that would still be difficult for him because he is so nervous. I don't suppose the hot weather will last too long though.

Just wondered what others thought?

Little Fluff is terminally ill, and a very, very nervous bun. He is really struggling with the heat. I was wondering about bringing him in, as I have an empty bedroom which is cooler than outside. But I wonder if that would still be difficult for him because he is so nervous. I don't suppose the hot weather will last too long though.

Just wondered what others thought?

I would, the heat means his body will have to work harder to cope and anything you can do to make his life that bit easier will help. I think as well, a week to us is a lot longer to a bunny so even if the weather does not last it will still be worth.

I would, the heat means his body will have to work harder to cope and anything you can do to make his life that bit easier will help. I think as well, a week to us is a lot longer to a bunny so even if the weather does not last it will still be worth.

I agree with this :wave:

Don't know if it would be a good idea to bring him in :(

It would be great because he could just stay in there and not need carried back and forward like he is now, but my girl Honey spends the night right outside the room. She has pasturella and I'm worried Fluff would get it since his immunity is down because of the steroids.

It's up to you and whether you want to take the risk, but he probably has pasturella already, most rabbits carry it but it just doesn't get 'triggered' and their immune system keeps it under control. If you handle them both without washing hands and changing clothes in between, it is very likely he has it, but most rabbits have it anyway, as it's airbourne as well as spread through contact so most get it in pet shops/breeders/rescues. It is still a risk, but it might be worth it.

I think it depends how much you think it would unsettle him, having him inside. If you can keep the house quiet and he's fairly adaptable, it may be best as it will be easier to control the temp in there than outside. But if you think he would really stress out and make himself ill, it's not worth the risk.

Do whatever you feel would be best for him, trust your instincts.

It's up to you and whether you want to take the risk, but he probably has pasturella already, most rabbits carry it but it just doesn't get 'triggered' and their immune system keeps it under control. If you handle them both without washing hands and changing clothes in between, it is very likely he has it, but most rabbits have it anyway, as it's airbourne as well as spread through contact so most get it in pet shops/breeders/rescues. It is still a risk, but it might be worth it.

I think it depends how much you think it would unsettle him, having him inside. If you can keep the house quiet and he's fairly adaptable, it may be best as it will be easier to control the temp in there than outside. But if you think he would really stress out and make himself ill, it's not worth the risk.

Do whatever you feel would be best for him, trust your instincts.

Thank you for this. You have reminded me that I had made some decisions for him before he became so ill that I thought would be best for him. He would be terrified in the house, no matter that it is quiet. Just the change would be too much for him. I don't want him to spend his last few days or weeks terrified.

Being on the east coast, we have a lovely cool, misty start today so at least he doesn't need to struggle for the whole day in the heat. He tends to just lie around from the back of 10 anyway. I'll be in so I can cover the run with blankets if need be. It's a north facing run and gets next to no sun which helps.

Back