• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

vets today with maisie piggy

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
this is the long list i went with: :shock:

- right eye red, swollen and squinted (yesterday it looked sore so we made an appointment, and today it's red aswell)
- snuffling more than her usual summer 'hayfever' (she has this every year but this time it seems a bit worse)
- starting to lose weight (dropped down to 970g)
- 'specks' in fur - possible hay/dirt, mites, dandruff!
- check teeth
- check ovarian cysts

so she's had a check over and:

- she has conjunctivitis and another eye condition which i can't remember the name of, but it's basically that her right eye is swollen, especially the lower eyelid. she had that dye put in to check it and some dye caught on the cornea, so possibly something there. no other obvious damage. the dye was checked through her tear duct and that was clear.

- a little discharge from her nose but chest and lungs clear.

- the specks in her fur are just bits of hay and dirt.

- teeth are fine and cysts have stayed the same since her hcg injections.

she's now on two different eyedrops. 4x a day for the first two days, then 3x a day for the next 5 days, leaving half an hour between the two different drops. should see an improvement in two days and then should carry on getting better. if not, we have to get back in touch.

the snuffling is more than likely her usual hayfever/sensitivities, but if it gets any worse then we have to ring to get her some antibiotics.

so looks like no sleep for me :shock: but anything for my maisie :love:

poor thing looks neglected and orange from the dye :shock: but she's still fairly bright, if not a little huffy. (headbutted the vet a few times :oops:)

and there should have been a note on our file to say we could pay next week... and there wasn't, so that was embarrassing aswell. :oops: but not a problem luckily.

eta: the drops she is on - acular and chloramphenicol. one drop 4x a day for two days, and then one drop 3x a day for five days. half an hour between the two different drops.

Last edited:
Awwww...sweet Maisie :love: I hope she is feeling better soon. :)
Had to :lol: at her headbutting the vet. :) I know bunnies can give attitude but didn't know piggies could. :D xxxx

Awwww...sweet Maisie :love: I hope she is feeling better soon. :)
Had to :lol: at her headbutting the vet. :) I know bunnies can give attitude but didn't know piggies could. :D xxxx

it takes alot for her to get huffy really, so she must have been quite cross. :shock:

i was more embarrassed when he said the specks were dirt :oops: especially because i keep their cage super clean. :evil: :lol:

she had her first lot of eyedrops earlier and was good as gold :D x

What is it with these female piggies!

Mine had a health check at the vets last week as she has been looking sorry for herself lately. I not long ago adopted her. Well!!! She has ovarian cysts, possible high blood pressure (can see the whites of her eyes), she's got white discharge coming from her right eye and she's got a suspected enlarged kidney!

So she's got eyedrops and is booked in for an ultrasound.

Hope Maisies treatment takes quick effect :thumb:

Last edited:
Bless her, hope the eye drops sort her out :) allergies have been bad for people this year so that could be why Maisie's are bad too? Hope she is back to herself soon x

What is it with these female piggies!

Mine had a health check at the vets last week as she has been looking sorry for herself lately. I not long ago adopted her. Well!!! She has ovarian cysts, possible high blood pressure (can see the whites of her eyes), she's got white discharge coming from her right eye and she's got a suspected enlarged kidney!

So she's got eyedrops and is booked in for an ultrasound.

Hope Maisies treatment takes quick effect :thumb:

that's quite a list aswell :shock: sending her a cuddle. :love:

Bless her, hope the eye drops sort her out :) allergies have been bad for people this year so that could be why Maisie's are bad too? Hope she is back to herself soon x

it's definitely been a bad year for allergies and hayfever, so i think that is the reason the vet didn't want to rush in with antibiotics, just because it makes sense that the sensitivities maisie has had would be worse this year. she is on and off with the snuffling but hasn't done any so far today. x

Sending more vibes for lovely Maisie. I do hope she's feeling better. Allergies are the worst! xxxx

maisie's eye is looking so much better now. she's on drops 3x a day now instead of 4x. she's very well in herself. :love:

i'll update the first post with the drops she is on incase anyone is interested in that kind of thing and for anyone searching in future.

her snuffling has improved aswell. a little bit after i change the hay at night, but nothing apart from that.

she's very well in herself, and fine having the drops, but she's down at 910g today :? i'm thinking it could be because of the heat though because eddie has also lost weight and he is the lowest he has been in a while and he's usually very stable weight wise. :?

maisie's course is done now. her eye is back to normal. just got to keep a close eye on her weight now. but overall, she's well and happy in herself :)

Wiggles are cute even when they do huffy moments :love: my two have been claw clipped tonight & my Lily just kept trying to climb up me to nuzzle into my neck :love: Jessica just wanted chin tickles as that's her favourite spot for a rub :love:

Back