• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi :(

DwarfBuns

Warren Scout
Niles was diagnosed with a mild case of myxomatosis last night, lumpy bunny syndrome. I'm so upset. My dreams have been filled with him! at the moment he seems ok. His only swelling is on one eye & he is ok in himself. The vet seemed optimistic about his recovery & seemed to think he'd be able to fight it off. But I'm worried he'll get worse. The Vet did say that he might get more dwellings and that we shouldn't worry if he does. We've got some baytril to help fight off any secondary infections and some gel for his eye as well.

I'm so upset. He's my little grumpy bun & I would be devastated if we lost him, to myxi as well. It's such an awful disease. I wondered if anyone else who's been through this could offer some support or advice. I just want to hug him, but he hates that! I'm going to try to keep everything as normal as possible for him.

I have no personal experience of nursing a bunny with myxi but didn't want to read and run. I'm sure if you search the forum for myxi stories you will find some that could offer advice. Is your little guy vaccinated? I'm sure some more experienced owners will be along soon. Good luck with him..

I have no experience of this either but there are forum members whom have shared their stories and experiences with it.
I just wanted to send some healing vibes and say try not to worry, you have caught it early and are doing all you can for him.

I'm sorry I can't offer advice as I have no experience of this, but sending lots of recovery vibes for your little man xxx

Sorry to hear your bun has myxi :(. A vaccinated bun has a good chance of recovery from nodular myxi.

It's good you got him to the vet so quickly, and your vet gave him baytril. I'm not sure if he should have matacam too :? Did you get any? maybe someone with more experience will say if it's needed or not.

Sending vibes x

If he is vaccinated then I'm sure he has a much better chance of recovery. I'm not sure about medication either as I've never had a bun with mixi either.

Has he been vaccinated ? If so then he stands a very good chance of recovery. The medication prescribed seems to be appropriate, but it might be a good idea to ask the Vet about giving a non steroidal anti-inflammatory too (eg Metacam). This would help reduce the inflammation caused by the nodules and it would also act as an antipyretic should your Rabbit be running a temperature.

Thanks all. He's been vaccinated, but less than 14 days ago. The Vet did seem concerned about that. In fact it was the only thing that really seemed to worry him! Her not been vaccinated before because of long term respiratory problems, we only got the ok to vaccinate him :( I don't know if it's been long enough for the vaccine to help him or not.

He's not too uncomfortable atm, I think the Vet wanted to limit the amount of things we give him as he finds it stressful and that makes his resp problems show up. I think he will give us some painkillers if Niles starts going downhill though, atm he said we don't need to go back unless he starts looking obviously unwell, so lethargic, not eating etc.

Poor Niles is looking ok today, it doesn't seem to be bothering him too much. I think I'm in denial.. it just looks like bad conjunctivitis at the moment. I hope it doesn't get worse :(

It sounds almost like a reaction to the vaccine but I am no expert. Fingers crossed your little boy will fully recover.

If he's got nodules rather than the traditional symptoms (swollen ears/genitals etc.) then the vaccination is in play :)

Thanks all. I did ask the Vet if it could be a reaction & he said no as the vaccine isn't live. Niles seems really well, he's been chomping on his favourite treats and chilling out on his hay. I've taken some photos, but I'm on my phone atm so struggling to get them uploaded :( Will keep trying. If you looked at him from one side then you'd think there was nothing wrong with him. He's not got any more lumps atm, it's just his one eye is affected. His genitals look ok atm as well. xx

Thanks all. I did ask the Vet if it could be a reaction & he said no as the vaccine isn't live. Niles seems really well, he's been chomping on his favourite treats and chilling out on his hay. I've taken some photos, but I'm on my phone atm so struggling to get them uploaded :( Will keep trying. If you looked at him from one side then you'd think there was nothing wrong with him. He's not got any more lumps atm, it's just his one eye is affected. His genitals look ok atm as well. xx

Did he have the new combination vaccine- Nobivac Myxo-RHD ?

If so then it is a live attenuated vaccine

http://www.msd-animal-health.co.uk/products_public/nobivac-myxo-rhd/090_product_datasheet.aspx

There have been other reports of similar situations as yours

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...-vac-Myxo-RHD&highlight=myxi+vaccine+reaction

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...bined-vaccine&highlight=myxi+vaccine+reaction

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...Bun-with-myxo&highlight=myxi+vaccine+reaction

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...-myxi-vaccine&highlight=myxi+vaccine+reaction

Last edited:
Sending more vibes for Niles, keep us informed please. We can't do anything but we can offer support.

Back