• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What is the best or your favourite decision that you've made regarding your rabbit/s?

*Funny*Bunny*

Warren Veteran
Except for getting them in the first place of course!!!

Mine is bringing my two inside to be house rabbits :D they were perfectly happy outside, and they're perfectly happy indoors too, but being indoors means I'm more in tune with their needs and can notice more easily if they're not well :) on top of that our relationship is even stronger than it was before, they were friendly and enjoyed attention from me when outdoors but now they'll run to greet me and pester me lots and Lilly especially has come out of her shell a lot more (Harvey was always a human lover). I also LOVE watching them :) where they were in the garden I couldn't really watch them unless I was outdoors with them, which was fine in the summer but not winter, and even in the summer it would only be an hour or two a day sat in the aviary, now I sit in the living room with them loads and roll around on the floor with them and play so much :D

What is the best decision you've ever made regarding your rabbits? Be it for their welfare, your convenience or anything else!

Attaching the run to the shed via a tunnel; now they have lots of room to hop about it when not out free-ranging in the garden (supervised) and it's weather-proof :thumb:

Funnily enough, turns out my best decision was to not have house rabbits :lol:
After getting the rabbits I really wanted them to come inside and be house rabbits, I wanted nothing more. This year things were finally perfect, I decided I'd have them in during the winter and out during the summer which would be great for all of us. I was on the verge of converting my spare room...... and then I lived with them for two weeks. By the end of those two weeks I was just about ready to make rabbit stew. :oops:
I'm a little sad that I'll never have them as house rabbits, but it's at least good to know it wouldn't work for us. I can stop really wanting them to come in now!

Aside from that, getting a shed was far and away the best thing I have ever done, both in terms of their welfare and making things easier and more enjoyable for me.

Attaching the run to the shed via a tunnel; now they have lots of room to hop about it when not out free-ranging in the garden (supervised) and it's weather-proof :thumb:

That sounds like the perfect outdoor accommodation to me :) if mine had stayed outdoors I would have wanted to get a shed and attach that to the aviary by a tunnel :D

Funnily enough, turns out my best decision was to not have house rabbits :lol:
After getting the rabbits I really wanted them to come inside and be house rabbits, I wanted nothing more. This year things were finally perfect, I decided I'd have them in during the winter and out during the summer which would be great for all of us. I was on the verge of converting my spare room...... and then I lived with them for two weeks. By the end of those two weeks I was just about ready to make rabbit stew. :oops:
I'm a little sad that I'll never have them as house rabbits, but it's at least good to know it wouldn't work for us. I can stop really wanting them to come in now!

Aside from that, getting a shed was far and away the best thing I have ever done, both in terms of their welfare and making things easier and more enjoyable for me.

:lol: different things work for different people and different bunnies! I didn't intend to have mine indoors (although have always secretly wanted them in) but Harvey had a bad episode of stasis so they were in for a week whilst he was medicated and force fed and they were little dreams, naughty yes, but not as naughty as I'd expected, so they just stayed in!

Sheds are definitely the way forwards for outdoor rabbit accommodation (not that there aren't suitable hutches out there, but they're often not as cost efficient as sheds and they can make it more difficult for cleaning/interacting with bunnies), it would be good if pet shops would realise this!

Getting a shed :thumb: they've actually had one from day one but I love it and can't imagine ever having a hutch, it would be so awkward! I love sitting with them and putting fun furniture and toys around. Another best decision (I'm having two!) was buying FudgeTort's shed and aviary set up. I love it so much and so do the bunnies :love: it's also significantly cooler in there this summer I think due to the insulation and the fact they can have their door open all day safely. They are so much happier in there and that makes me happy!!

I would ideally love to have them as house rabbits but it wouldn't be fair due to all the other animals in the house. Mumu was indoors but he was quite brave wheras I think fern would be terrified of all the noises and smells! I did also always worry about one of the cats getting into the room and hurting Mumu.

For me it was getting the shed and bonding the two pairs into a quad :D I always thought if I ever move house I'll look for one with a shed or garage that I can convert then try bonding them. Then I just thought why not just get a shed and do it now?! I had some money from my grandma after she died so I'm thankful I had the funds to do it and it has been very successful :thumb:

Changing from an awful Vet to C. Not only did I gain a Rabbit Savvy Vet I also gained a good friend and an Honorary Niece :love:

1. Deciding I'd got room in my life to give 2 bunnies a forever home, after I retired last year.

2. Moving them up to Scotland with me this year-that was a biggy ! 9 1/2 hour journey I was so proud of them-good as gold :love:

3. Getting them a super strong shed which I'm still "titivating" they love it, and I love sitting on the floor with them while they hop over my legs and bunt me with their noses.

4.Attaching outdoor run to shed-now they have the choice to be in or out.

5. Watching my cats face watching them binkying around-I'm sure he wants a go !:lol:

I could think of lots more but they are the main ones :wave:

Getting a shed :thumb: they've actually had one from day one but I love it and can't imagine ever having a hutch, it would be so awkward! I love sitting with them and putting fun furniture and toys around. Another best decision (I'm having two!) was buying FudgeTort's shed and aviary set up. I love it so much and so do the bunnies :love: it's also significantly cooler in there this summer I think due to the insulation and the fact they can have their door open all day safely. They are so much happier in there and that makes me happy!!

I would ideally love to have them as house rabbits but it wouldn't be fair due to all the other animals in the house. Mumu was indoors but he was quite brave wheras I think fern would be terrified of all the noises and smells! I did also always worry about one of the cats getting into the room and hurting Mumu.

The only other pet I've got is Sid my hamster so he's no threat to the rabbits, although Lilly used to be petrified of him in his ball! She doesn't mind him now though :lol: Harvey asks him for nose rubs if he rolls anywhere near him or if he runs towards him :roll:

There's lots of shed love on this thread! If I have outdoor bunnies in the future it's definitely going to be a shed for me :thumb:

Changing from an awful Vet to C. Not only did I gain a Rabbit Savvy Vet I also gained a good friend and an Honorary Niece :love:

:love:

Bringing my bunny in to live with me. She provides much needed cuddles most days and we keep each other entertained!

I love this bit :p although I'm not sure if my antics entertain them or make them worry for my sanity when I do things like roll on the floor or try to wiggle my nose at them :lol: they certainly do entertain me, although wind me up too, my poor doggy door stop had his tail removed last after living with the bunnies for a whole year and them never once falling out!

Pets mum, 9 and a half hours is very impressive! Mine regularly do 1 hour 15 minute journeys and they always sulk for about an hour after :roll: mine have been too hot to binky much recently :( I do love binkies though, and I can just imagine your poor cat's confused face :lol:

Hopefully bringing Alfie indoors!

I was in the process of bonding Alf and Dee but then I lost Dee 3 weeks ago. We've decided not to get any more bunnies, because we just can't afford it, so Alf's come to live indoors now. He's still being shut in his crate at night until we get his pen but he's free ranging during the day, we're in the process of converting our second lounge to his 'room' and I'm loving the idea of spending more time with him :love:

Other than that, it'd definitely be getting them insured :lol:

Insurance is definitely worth while! Saved lots of money on Harvey, although for Lilly I just don't know if it's worth it, she a complete mixed breed and seems to have a very strong gut, but it's worth it for me because if she is suddenly ill I would hate not to be able to afford it, at least with insurance they'll cover most things :)

Really sorry to hear you lost Dee :(

I'm looking forward to giving them their own bedroom so I don't have to pen them in anymore when I'm not there (although they free range at least 4 hours a day)

Their behaviour and attitude and personality makes me laugh and awww so much! I have beautiful, naughty, fluffy little munchkins who I'm so grateful for. I'm pleased I got them insured (lesson learnt from my passed dog bless his soul). Getting a friend for Springy when I realised how sad he was after my dog died (yeah he was bonded to my dog)

For me it was getting a shed and aviary set up, even though my garden now looks a bit like a zoo! I've got a corner shed/summerhouse that is divided in two, and two aviaries, one the full length of the back fence and the second is the full length of the side fence. It's more aviary than garden but I don't regret it for a second. Aviaries are just so much easier to spend time with your outdoor bunnies in.:thumb:

For me it was getting the shed and bonding the two pairs into a quad :D I always thought if I ever move house I'll look for one with a shed or garage that I can convert then try bonding them. Then I just thought why not just get a shed and do it now?! I had some money from my grandma after she died so I'm thankful I had the funds to do it and it has been very successful :thumb:

Snap! I've got a shed, I managed to rescue two boys and successfully bonded them with my two girls. I've now got a loved up quad who play to their hearts content all day before retiring to a massive new hutch in their shed. ;)

For me it was getting a shed and aviary set up, even though my garden now looks a bit like a zoo! I've got a corner shed/summerhouse that is divided in two, and two aviaries, one the full length of the back fence and the second is the full length of the side fence. It's more aviary than garden but I don't regret it for a second. Aviaries are just so much easier to spend time with your outdoor bunnies in.:thumb:

Can you post some pictures please? I would love a similar thing.

Best decisions:

1) Realising that the cage recommonded by P@H was way to small and getting Bobo his big hutch (which is actually a run) - he loved it from the very first.

2) Then realising that Bobo would be far happier being neutered and having a wife - so Harley came into our lives.

3) Giving up on having a dining room and converting it completely into the rabbit room

4) Investing in an AC unit - worth it's weight in gold at the moment :thumb:

- Bringing him inside so that he can sit at my feet all day and generally get in the way/chew things.

- Buying him his new big hutch on legs so that he has all the space underneath it to play in too.

- Getting him neutered- now I don't have to worry about him peeing on me.

Back