• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny suitable vacuums

dumblepaws

Mama Doe
So our cleaner (yes I’m spoilt) has broken our lovely Dyson Animal trying to unblock the hay from it with a knife. We’d previously discussed how she could de-hay the tiled area with broom and a little hand held vacuum, but she’d independently decided to continue to use the big vacuum and to perform invasive surgery on it when it blocked with hay..

The bunnies live outside, and just come in to play on one room. It’s a tiled floor, although there is a carpet which we put down when the bunnies come in to stop them skidding, but the carpet doesn’t need to be super clean in our opinion (cleaner has professional cleaning standards so disagrees)

So I suppose my question is what’s the best way of getting hay off a carpet? As surely with tiles a brush is fine?
And also any recommendations on new vacuum cleaners that are durable and effective against very enthusiastic cleaners and are good for getting hay/dirt/bacteria/fur/mites etc out of the carpet without blocking

Thank you!

Henry Hoover :thumb: He is a beast who loves to suck up fur, poops, hay and even chewed up bits of carpet.

I have a Dyson Animal but it's the small wireless one. I love it because I can get to all the insides to clear hay. I use the pointy attachment for hay and poops every day and then the normal hoover style attachment about twice a week after for the carpets and any dust. I know some people don't get on with it but it's ideal for me.

I've not met a hoover yet that can tackle hay without some form of blockage or another lol.

However I have carpeted floors where Merlin roams all round and I use Genie upright it was from Asda for about £35 and it works a charm, though it does have a really short hose, it does get clogged, but it is easy to unblock, with the use of fingers.. NOT knifes lol

I brush up hay and poo with a broom and take it into the lino hall (the animals don't go into the carpeted areas so the hay is just what we trail in!!) where I scoop it up with a dustpan. I have to say it would really annoy me if someone ignored my instructions like that.

Henry hoover is great...so simple and easy and just Sucks stuff up. Hay does get stuck occasionally but very easy to unblock. He's a work horse though and isn't very elegant so that can put people off.

Thanks - have gone for a Henry Hoover cos they look so cute! And have advised on new cleaning regime!

FondueKid: I know she really just wants to make it thoroughly clean and it does look awesome when I get home so yep, I can forgive! Will try and keep her away from knives in future though!!!

Lol, I can see how lovely clean house when you come home would make up for a lot! Yay for a Henry rehomed :D

Thanks - have gone for a Henry Hoover cos they look so cute! And have advised on new cleaning regime!

FondueKid: I know she really just wants to make it thoroughly clean and it does look awesome when I get home so yep, I can forgive! Will try and keep her away from knives in future though!!!

We have a Henry. They aren't bad!

I used a stiff 'garden' brush last time, swept up with a dustpan/brush, got the biggest bits left over with a little handheld thing, then over with our Mielie (spelling?) hoover. Worked well, on hay, poop and little bits of torn up newspaper.

Back