• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2 giant continental bucks

Angybaby85

New Kit
Hi I'm after some advice ASAP regarding my 2 giant continentals bought as a boy and girl but in 7 months no babies and look like they both have grown balls now. They are both 10 months old now and before have had the odd MAd dash around the hutch and run but one off them dug out 4 weeks ago an didn't catch him for 4 days when we eventually did we reunited them an they started fighting straight away pulled a bit off fur out each other so I seperated them an tried again later in the day to the same thing so iv kept them apart for 3 weeks the one who escaped has gone very timid an won't let u stroke him an grunts and tries to bite out but has seemed a lot better this week as iv managed to stroke him an not had the grunt!!so thought I'd try them back together again last night an they had a sniff at each other an then a carrot each then after 15mins had a little fight an then broke it up an one went in hutch other stayed in run!have kept them together all night and apart from the odd ball off fluff all seems ok but have noticed a lot off moments between them this mornin and one is just sat in the bed compartment shaking so I really need to no what to do for the best!!!do I seperate them again or do I leave them too it and see how it goes never had rabbits before so I'm hoping for some help from here many thanks
Angela

Seperate them until they are neutered and then try bonding again.

How big is your hutch? Not enough space can cause buns to have issues (especially big buns) :wave:

Hi I'm after some advice ASAP regarding my 2 giant continentals bought as a boy and girl but in 7 months no babies and look like they both have grown balls now. They are both 10 months old now and before have had the odd MAd dash around the hutch and run but one off them dug out 4 weeks ago an didn't catch him for 4 days when we eventually did we reunited them an they started fighting straight away pulled a bit off fur out each other so I seperated them an tried again later in the day to the same thing so iv kept them apart for 3 weeks the one who escaped has gone very timid an won't let u stroke him an grunts and tries to bite out but has seemed a lot better this week as iv managed to stroke him an not had the grunt!!so thought I'd try them back together again last night an they had a sniff at each other an then a carrot each then after 15mins had a little fight an then broke it up an one went in hutch other stayed in run!have kept them together all night and apart from the odd ball off fluff all seems ok but have noticed a lot off moments between them this mornin and one is just sat in the bed compartment shaking so I really need to no what to do for the best!!!do I seperate them again or do I leave them too it and see how it goes never had rabbits before so I'm hoping for some help from here many thanks
Angela

If you have two males that are unneutered you will need to separate them immediately (and place in very secure areas with underwiring to prevent escape). Fighting between un-neutered males can be ver very dangerous and produce dreadful wounds. I cannot overemphasise the damage they can do to each other.

Your vet can confirm the sex if you are unsure - and should have done so when they had their vaccinations at 3-4 months old. If the vet got this wrong then you may need an exotics vet instead.

They are now ready to be neutered - whatever sex they are this can be done at 6 months (4 months for males in fact).

Once they are neutered it is possible that they may be able to be bonded - but you will need to leave it for at least a month probably two - for the hormones to die down (and the bad memories!) before trying this.

You will need to attempt it in a NEUTRAL never before visited area.

Also you may need to think about the size of the set up if you are housing giants - what is your size now?

PS sorry this reads a bit brisk but trying to be helpful whilst actually working on something else so please forgive!!!

Last edited:
Back