• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping outdoor hutches safe?

I've been weary of my outdoor bunnies safety at night for quite a while now, in case someone (and I know someone not two doors down that frequently trespasses property to thieve) let them out, or stole them.
After reading this anger-inducing page, my worry has risen. I was wondering if there were any ways to keep the doors securely locked? Or should I just buy padlocks for every door!?

http://animalpetitions.org/5308/hol...g-and-killing-pet-rabbit/comment-page-3/#gf_3

RIP Percy, may the three that hurt you so rot in hell.

We've just fitted padlocks on every door of our hutch and run. We did it more for protection against foxes.

Our shed is only secured by the ordinary key operated lock that came with it. Our back garden is fairly secure as our passageway leading from the front drive to the back garden has a gate which is secured with a padlock. The only real possible entry point for a wannabe thief would be via our neighbour's side passageway - not secured by a locked gate, just a gate - and then for them to jump over the fence dividing the 2 gardens; it's about 3ft high so not too hard to clamber over.

How well can you hear the hutch from the house? You could hang things around (bells, windchimes) that would make a lot of noise in the night if an unsuspecting person were to try and creep in. I don't know if there's a way of making the hutch door loud to open, maybe hang bells on the door which ring distinctly when it is pulled open?

Lights around the hutch might deter a potential thief. There are those ornamental lights that are solar powered, so during the day would collect energy and then you could leave them on at night?

I doubt a padlock would stop either a fox or a human breaking into a cheap cardboard quality hutch that most under experienced rabbit owners will buy when they pick their bun up from pets at home. Even a shed is not all that reliable and they are also easily broken into. Stone housing would be best, like a garage or outhouse. Having rabbit accommodation close to the house is important too and if a garden can be given security features then all the better. An alarm system, security camera, thorny plants growing around fences, high fences and so on. Any sort of aspect that presents a barrier or a difficulty to a potential intruder/burglar/predator is useful and the more barriers you can create, the less likely an intruder will see an opportunity to get in. Most of these scum look for an easy option. Don't make your property and easy option, make it like Fort Knox.

I'm thinking aloud here, but surely if people can't see there's a hutch in the garden they're less likely to go in and do something terrible as they're unlikely to be going into gardens searching for hutches. Maybe a light is a bad idea?

I think if it were in my garden I'd move it to a part entirely hidden behind the house and put padlocks on or move it into a shed.

I see your point about the light but rabbits can be quite active at night; mine thump and drink a lot and my neighbours often say they can hear them from their garden, so it's easy to tell they are there.

It depends which way you look at the light situation, I guess.

It's very worrying isn't it? :(

I'm lucky to have a garage that the Guinea Pigs live in, I would keep them in the house but I hadn't anticipated getting Guinea Pigs and just haven't got the room for a large setup for them.

Just what I was thinking. My mother in law had an aviary, assumed her garden was secure as no gate etc, but thieves climbed over her garage roof, got into the garden and stole all her birds:( does make you think.

Back