• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New doe bunny thumping

ceemina

New Kit
Hi

Today I purchased a little doe bunny as a friend for my 3 month old buck bunny. They seemed fine and were all cuddly and huddled up together when we introduced them, but after a few hours we have noticed the doe thumping whenever the buck comes near her or tries to sniff her. He is being completely innocent and is too young for anything sexual so I am sure they are not unwanted sexual advances. Is this something I need to worry about or will she get used to him and stop after time?

Cee

I'm afraid to say but he is not to young rabbits can mate from 12 weeks sometimes even younger they should both be kept separate until he is neutered and her spayed

How old is your female rabbit and are you sure it is a female? Do you intend having the boy neutered when old enough as he will start to pester the female in a little while.

What breed are your bunnies because smaller breeds like mini lops can mate at 12 weeks as previous people have mentioned. It's really not a good idea just to put them together as they may end up fighting and seriously injuring each other. There are a lot of threads on here about bonding that will give you loads of advise.
Oh, and it goes without saying - we need pictures! :lol:

As others have said it's lovely that you bought a friend and we need pictures!

I'd take them both to the vet asap to discuss neutering, it's a big worry I will admit but once it's done it's a load off your mind and the bunnies won't learn any hormonal behaviours if you get it done sooner :wave:

Our boy Jay constantly harassed Mini when he joined us, until a good few weeks after he was neutered. We tried a few bonding meetings in that time but he'd just chase and mount her, which was pretty stressful for all of us! He'd also spray urine and mark his territory with droppings. He was wee bit older than your boy though around 6-12 months I think.

Definitely get them both neutered, then give it a few weeks and I'm sure they'll be cuddled up again in no time :). Bonding for us was a breeze once he was neutered, but you don't want a bad experience now to colour their view of each other.

Update:

Hi everyone!

Thank you all for your help, I took your advice and separated them until I could talk to my vet. She said that if he isn't showing any signs of being sexual with her then it's probably just because everything is new and she doesn't know him yet. We have made some progress! They are still separated when we aren't there but as soon as we are home they are interacting as much as possible. She even groomed his ears last night, so happy! He is being very submissive and just snuggling under her chin, I think she is starting to get used to him now. Still a long way to go but progress is being made!

Here are some photos as requested, the white one is my little boy Hershel and the black one is our new girl Harley.

10353185_10152546705497138_6480749968708190239_n.jpg

10487549_10152586405957138_4000878614116284508_n.jpg

994436_10152586404157138_4898327755845988027_n.jpg

Back