• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding advice would be much appreciated!!!!!

marti

New Kit
Long story!!!....have rescued lots of buns over the years but stopped taking them in a few years ago to work on cruises when my last bun died aged 10. Ended up taking in another bonded pair as were in a terrible state and a baby male abandoned in winter when I was on leave as couldnt say no!!! My mum normally looks after them at her house when im away, as I go for 3 months at a time!!!......ideally need to find forever homes as mum is now old and not too well so have to put them in long term boarding instead.
Anyway....the female of the bonded pair had to be pts a month ago due to bladder growth and harvey (the male) has been pining badly.....didnt want any more as boarding situation etc is tough but he was too lonely so thought I must try!!
I still get calls from people that know I used to rescue. So Someone called asking if i could take her female bun so i thought that could answer my problem too. Went to see it for temprement. She is quite a bossy territorial little thing and thought may not be ideal but couldnt leave her there as the conditions were horrible and she was only handled once every couple of months according to her owner. I tried to stroke her in her hutch but she lunged and warned me off. Saw she had a messy bum and not been cleaned etc. Flies everywhere and no rearguard, unclean hurtch, no toys, no run bla bla bla so said I would take her and try her with harvey. Owner dragged her out by scruff (a large lop who unsurprisingly was terrified) and so I thought I had at least try as if it worked at least I could get her away from there!!......she was very nervous and scared when I got her home so stroked her till she calmed and she let me. Had her free running in front room all eve and night and was quite confident after a while and lets me stroke her. Let her sniff harvey (the male) thru pet gate. He instantly perked up and was skipping about and had his old spark back but she nipped his nose once, and tried to scratch thru the bars....left them to carry on thru eve and they started just sitting next to each other etc, but as soon as he sniffed she put her tail up nipped his nose and grunted....swapped them around this morn so she was in his run and she is alot more grunty at me now enclosed but not lunging.....worried she may fight him...... and im a wuss with bonding!!!.....I hate it!!!!!... i panic at the first sign of a scrap and not very good at letting them have a little tiff to sort it out!!!... i am time pressured as i go away on fri (!!!!) and they will be in boarding so desperatley need them to get on as afraid she may bully him and / or be very territorial with once enclosed if I dont get it right or am too precious!!!...
Sorry for the essay!!!.... but Under normal circumstances I would keep her seperate for a while till she was used to people being nice to her and learned to be okay with me in her space before I introduced them!!! I know its just defensive and she is already a different bunny than yesterday!!! Soooooo much happier, calmer and so much more confident!!
....also owner couldnt remember if she was neutered or if it was just her old husbun from a few years ago that was done.....I know I wouldn't try normally untill sure on everything but as going away and the condition of where she was I thought I should at least try.......is it a really bad idea??????....

or do u know of anywhere near skipton north yorks that does a bonding service if they need more time to to settle after I go??

many thanks for any input or suggestions

:0$ xxx

Last edited:
What would be ideal is a boarder who also bonds as you haven't got a lot of time to make sure they are bonded by the time you go away, so I would be inclined to keep them separate until you get back. If you did try bonding them before you go away and thought they seemed ok together they would soon have to go into boarding which could upset any bonding which had taken place and it wouldn't be very pleasant for the boarding people to have 2 rabbits fighting and having to be separated.

Also with regard to the way she was being kept by her previous owner it would be a good idea if she spent some time being properly cared for and as you mentioned she had a mucky bottom her diet may need sorting out so all this takes time.

Back