• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny passed away in the heat :(

Lucy-Lou

Mama Doe
My friend's giant rabbit died yesterday while roaming the garden :cry: The vet thinks the heat got to him and he couldn't cope. Such a shame as he wasn't very old, and was a well looked-after and loved bun :(

Poor boy :cry: xxx

I am so sorry to hear about your friend's rabbit.:( This heat can and does take its toll out on our furry friends. I've owned bunnies for almost 20 years, and the summer is the season I dread the most. Flies, strong sunshine and the heat.:evil:

how awful :( my giants are still free ranging in the day even in this heat.. but they have an air conditioned home to retreat to which they usually do after about 2pm. also they are spending most of the day in the shaded part of the garden, you can actually see the line where the shade starts and they have been eating the grass there!!

Poor bunny :(

Giants do suffer badly. I have the idea that that suffer more than "normal" sized :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how awful :( my giants are still free ranging in the day even in this heat.. but they have an air conditioned home to retreat to which they usually do after about 2pm. also they are spending most of the day in the shaded part of the garden, you can actually see the line where the shade starts and they have been eating the grass there!!

He will have had his shed to go back into if he wanted, and the back door open, I wonder why he didn't move out of the sun when he got too hot :( I'll definitely be watching mine more closely in the hot weather from now on.

so sorry, maybe he was feeling poorly anyway, bunnies are good at hiding illness due to being predators in wild, may have had an underlying condition so overheated more despite all the right care :cry:

its so sad because you see people who don't provide as much loving care yet get away with them in small hutches in full sun :cry:

so sorry, maybe he was feeling poorly anyway, bunnies are good at hiding illness due to being predators in wild, may have had an underlying condition so overheated more despite all the right care :cry:

its so sad because you see people who don't provide as much loving care yet get away with them in small hutches in full sun :cry:

This is so true - always happens to the people that provide the very best to their animals :(

This is why I like to spray both of my bunnies (Chocolate and Vanilla's) ears with water every hour or 2 since they free range in the garden from 7am- 8pm! The sun here really starts getting hot after 2 and so their bunny room ( they have taken over the dining room!) gets really hot, however they have luckily got the dining room which has the large sliding door- so lots of fresh air! :p
They also like to have lots of frozen water bottles around their room since they don't stay still for very long and start throwing the bottles around :roll:
I tend to see my bunnies only stay in the shade or near their room , if it gets to hot or they hear something ( like the neighbours who have music on for most of the day :roll: ) they run into their room! Anyways, rabbits are very good at hiding illness so maybe something was wrong? Binky free, Bunny :love:

My little dutch bunny died a couple of weeks ago due to shock caused by heat exhaustion.

I was annoyed at myself for a few days afterwards thinking I should have done more. But I took him straight to the vets as he was struggling to breathe. The vet put him straight on oxygen but it never helped & he sadly died. The vet thinks he probably had an underlying health problem that hadn't been picked up on.

I still wonder what if I hadn't have gone to the vet, maybe he wouldnt have gone into shock. But he was quite clearly in pain that day...... or if id have taken him two weeks earlier when he seemed a bit off it but then the weather cooled and he was baxk to normal. Still sad about it :(

Back