• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Play hut MK11

The Hutch Man

Warren Scout
Here is a MK11 play hut.
This one with the dimensions below is for a Guinea Pig but i will be making these a larger size for rabbits too.
Thought i would get your views on it.

It can be used indoors or outdoors inside a run for fun and shade.
It has modelled on a mini hutch, Look closer and although the large door is a jar "just for effect"
neither of the doors open as they are fixed in place.

The hut has a opening only on the large door and leading to the opening is a small ramp thats comes detached.
The ramp will be supplied inside the hut and can be fixed in place with the two screws provided.
It has a 6mm WBP Ply floor, back, and it is felted over a 6mm WBP Ply removable roof.
The wood has been left plain finish so you can paint or stain it any colour like.
The dimensions are: 24" wide(Side to Side) 13" Deep front to back 15.5" (roof front to back)
12" high. The door opening is 9.5" x 5.5
"

I love little huts like this; the only reason i have never bought one is that they always have only one doorway! My rabbits don't like anything that only has one entrance/exit - there is no escape route, in their eyes, if something were to chase them into it... So would it be possible to put a side door in too? That's my thoughts...:wave:

I love little huts like this; the only reason i have never bought one is that they always have only one doorway! My rabbits don't like anything that only has one entrance/exit - there is no escape route, in their eyes, if something were to chase them into it... So would it be possible to put a side door in too? That's my thoughts...:wave:

Hi thank you for your comments.
This is how I learn.
To be honest I wasn't to sure.
So if I make say a 5" hole in the back right corner or the right side would that be the way to go with these? It's no problem to do right away.

Hi thank you for your comments.
This is how I learn.
To be honest I wasn't to sure.
So if I make say a 5" hole in the back right corner or the right side would that be the way to go with these? It's no problem to do right away.
Agree with ripminnie. If you give a rabbit a box with one hole, they will proceed to make at least on more :lol:

I absolutely love your products! There have been a few things you've made, and others have made that make me really excited to move :D

Agree with ripminnie. If you give a rabbit a box with one hole, they will proceed to make at least on more :lol:

I absolutely love your products! There have been a few things you've made, and others have made that make me really excited to move :D
That's great news so a second hole it is then.
I've already ordered my new 5" hole cutter ready for the off.
I'm also going to set up a forum discount for members who want one of my products.

It looks really nice! :love:
I am actually looking for a little play hut that is big enough for a giant rabbit, I have noticed she likes to go hide under the couch/under the bed etc.

I really like this, and wish I could get one for my buns. My problem is chewing. I have to cover every corner with metal, or they wreck it. I bought one of those hay racks with a litter tray at the front for £40 and they ate it within days!

Sure it will be brill for owners of buns that aren't so naughty as mine!

It looks really nice! :love:
I am actually looking for a little play hut that is big enough for a giant rabbit, I have noticed she likes to go hide under the couch/under the bed etc.

Hi just give me the dimentions you would need and I can make it for you no problem.

It's very cute. The door being a-jar would irritate me, but that's because I'm a little OCD about doors and I'd want to shut it constantly!

You wouldn't need a ramp on the rabbit version, which may mean you are able to make it slightly cheaper. My rabbits actively dislike ramps, they seem to think they get in the way and will try to remove them themselves, but that might just be them!

If you go for a second hole, I'd say put it in one of the sides, as if you put it in the back you won't be able to put the house in the corner of a run, for example.

It's very cute. The door being a-jar would irritate me, but that's because I'm a little OCD about doors and I'd want to shut it constantly!

You wouldn't need a ramp on the rabbit version, which may mean you are able to make it slightly cheaper. My rabbits actively dislike ramps, they seem to think they get in the way and will try to remove them themselves, but that might just be them!

If you go for a second hole, I'd say put it in one of the sides, as if you put it in the back you won't be able to put the house in the corner of a run, for example.

All makes perfect sense thank you.
My wife and daughter just said the same about the door lol
So I could make the door flush add the wire for effect and cut two holes one in either side?
Or forget the wire make the door fixed but closed and just one hole in the side?
No ramp.

All makes perfect sense thank you.
My wife and daughter just said the same about the door lol
So I could make the door flush add the wire for effect and cut two holes one in either side?
Or forget the wire make the door fixed but closed and just one hole in the side?
No ramp.

I wouldn't bother with wire - too fiddly to secure the edges around the hole. I'd just have it as it is now, but with the door shut, and then an optional additional hole in one of the sides, but I'd make it a pop-hole rather than a big hole missing. The only thing is that by having 2 doors/holes it would literally be a shelter, it wouldn't be able to be stuffed with hay to be warm in winter.

I wouldn't bother with wire - too fiddly to secure the edges around the hole. I'd just have it as it is now, but with the door shut, and then an optional additional hole in one of the sides, but I'd make it a pop-hole rather than a big hole missing. The only thing is that by having 2 doors/holes it would literally be a shelter, it wouldn't be able to be stuffed with hay to be warm in winter.
Ok no wire then just an opening left at the front door with an additional hole on the opposite (Right) side and a sloping roof.
If i get time tomorrow i will make one up and post it on this thread so you can give me your opinions.
Thanks again everyone.

The little hut is lovely. I'd be interested in a couple of these, so I'm looking forward to seeing your revised design.

Something similar to the design in your first post would be ideal for my bunny who has spondylosis, she needs easy access.

Back