• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dandelions

*lily*

Wise Old Thumper
Anyone had any problems with their rabbits tummys after eating foraged dandelions?

Louie was quite ill for 2 days during the week, not eating, lethargic and the only thing he had had different to normal was some dandelions foraged from a different place.

I'm now only going to give him the ones that I grow in a pot here, just in case it was the foraged ones.

I never give dandelions from outside of the back garden; too many wildies and foxes, not to mention the odd dog and resident cats to poop/wee on them.

Perhaps the ones you gave were contaminated with something maybe? Not your fault; you can't see it and I expect you washed it but some things just don't come off under the tap but again that's not your fault.

It could be the dandelion making her poorly, but it could also be the weather; it's really odd lately - warm/hot, muggy etc.

The only way to be certain it was the dandelions is to wait until she is fully better, leave it a week or two and give her some more from that same spot. If she's poorly then yes it is that particular patch, but if she's not then it was something else.

It could also be a bit of fur working its way through.

Personally I find foraged dandelions the best prevention for stasis, but everybun is different!

Did he eat a lot of them ? If so that combined with the heat could have caused him to become dehydrated. Dandelion leaves have a diuretic effect. If a Rabbit becomes dehydrated one of the side effects is a reduced gut motility/gut stasis.

Hope that Louis is better now xx

I never give dandelions from outside of the back garden; too many wildies and foxes, not to mention the odd dog and resident cats to poop/wee on them.

Perhaps the ones you gave were contaminated with something maybe? Not your fault; you can't see it and I expect you washed it but some things just don't come off under the tap but again that's not your fault.

It could be the dandelion making her poorly, but it could also be the weather; it's really odd lately - warm/hot, muggy etc.

The only way to be certain it was the dandelions is to wait until she is fully better, leave it a week or two and give her some more from that same spot. If she's poorly then yes it is that particular patch, but if she's not then it was something else.

We have always fed him foraged dandelions, never from the edge of the road, always well into the undergrowth.

Unfortunately, we can't get anymore from that particular place as OH got them from the golf course where he was playing on a golf day out so he wont be going back there anytime soon.

It could also be a bit of fur working its way through.

Personally I find foraged dandelions the best prevention for stasis, but everybun is different!

Who knows, eh? He has had slight problems over the years but it is always his breakfast that he has refused. After some good drinks of water and tummy rubs, he has always eaten a couple of hours later.

This time though it was his tea he refused. His stomach was gurgling away though all the time. He had water and tummy rubs but no luck. The next morning he refused breakfast again and hid in the garden.

We gave him metacam and zantac and, by the evening, he started eating though his stomach was making very loud noises.

Did he eat a lot of them ? If so that combined with the heat could have caused him to become dehydrated. Dandelion leaves have a diuretic effect. If a Rabbit becomes dehydrated one of the side effects is a reduced gut motility/gut stasis.

Hope that Louis is better now xx

He only had 2 which is all he ever gets in a day. The Guinea Pigs had one each too and were fine.

He absolutely loves dandelions but I'm a bit worried about giving them to him again though, of course, it may not have been them that caused the trouble!

Back