• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wet rabbits

DomaNikki

Mama Doe
I feel so bad :(

Yesterday whilst sorting out the rabbit shed I locked the cat flap so the girls were in the run, I left last night to stay at my boyfriends and was woken by the torrential rain and remembered the girls and the locked cat flap.

They have tarpaulin over the run however I didn't feel it was enough so at 6:45 my boyfriend had to drive me back home and the look of disappointment the girls have me makes me feel so bad! How could I do this?!!! They were rather wet, parts of the run is dry but the majority was not!

I have dried them off and warmed up a heat pad- it's not cold but the rain isn't pleasant here In Wolverhampton. Is there anything else I can do? :(

I am sure they will be all right as far as the rain goes. Give them something nice to eat and they will soon forget their night out.

Mine don't like the thunder but on occasion they do sit in the rain and get wet:roll:

Maybe with the heat it was nice and cooling :? But glad
They are fine

Some rabbits really don't mind the rain. I have shelters in my outdoor set ups though so that rabbits can actually go into something to hide and stay dry if needs be. Tunnels and hidey boxes make ideal shelters. It also gives them a bolthole in case something scary (like a predator or a loud noise) occurs.

They probably weren't as wet as you think.

Did you actually spread their fur and see if their skin was wet? I bet it wasn't.

We have a pony who lives outside from about Easter to October time. Last September, remember the storms? She was outside but did have a waterproof rug on but her head and neck were still soaked - or so we thought. I parted the hair on her neck to find that about 2-3mm of hair closest to her skin was bone dry; it hadn't soaked through to her skin. Her ears and girth areas were also warm which meant that she herself was warm.

Animals which have fur/hair tend to have a natural greasy layer (we do too but wash it off regularly - just leave your hair for a few days and it looks greasy) which is natural waterproofing. Therefore, as I said already, it's unlikely they were wet to their skin. Very often the wildies will just sit on our front garden in the pouring rain, munching on the grass. Come to think of it, so do my girls! It's me who chases them into the shed so I can get indoors :lol:

Back