• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rearguard v S10 ?

doll

New Kit
Ive had the very sad task of taking my beloved bunny Minnie to the emergency vets midnight on friday with flystrike.(a few hours from commin home from my hols). Even though i kept her scrupulessly clean , cleaning her toilet tray daily sometimes twice. she succumbed while not in my care. I was advised to get Rearguard for future buns. However ive been given a price of £25 by Manor Pharmacy. I then rang Ambivets they said they recommend something called S10. at£ 10-45. this will kill the eggs or stop them turning to maggots. Ive become quite OTT about flys now. Because it was heartbreakin to say goodbye to my darling bunny in such horrific circumstances. Has anyone been recommended to S10. Itried googling it but my daughter says ived got the name wrong.

I haven't heard of S10 but if you keep your bunnies and their litter tray clean there shouldn't be a problem unless your bunny gets a mucky bottom which can be caused by the wrong amount of certain foods. I wouldn't want to keep spraying chemicals on to my rabbits needlessly. Sorry you lost your rabbit, that must have been very heartbreaking.

I haven't heard of S10 but if you keep your bunnies and their litter tray clean there shouldn't be a problem unless your bunny gets a mucky bottom which can be caused by the wrong amount of certain foods. I wouldn't want to keep spraying chemicals on to my rabbits needlessly. Sorry you lost your rabbit, that must have been very heartbreaking.

I agree with this

I am not saying I would never use Rearguard or anything similar, but in 16+ years of having kept Rabbits I have never yet used it. Using fly netting over the Rabbit's accommodation is another precaution you could take, aswell as the good hygiene measures you already use.

Back