• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxi help please x

India

Young Bun
Having a major panic . My bunny went to a rescue at weekend for bonding , they put her in with a rabbit who has myxi . They assure me only matter of minutes but not convinced . They now have about 10 with it . I collected her ASAP and obviously spoke to my vet . I have other bunnies . I feel sick was trying to do the right thing . Following highest hygiene levels , she is away from all other bunnies . Please please don't let her get it 😞

Thank you for replys . Yes and yes . I will never forgive myself I should have kept her single x

I can't believe someone would be so stupid, it only takes a second to pass it on, but if your rabbit is vaccinated she shouldn't catch it or if she does hopefully it will be a mild form which she should get better from. It can take up to 3 weeks to develop so wait a while before putting her near to your other rabbits. I hope she hasn't picked it up.

Me too😞 just spoken to them to find out exactly how long they were together , being very vague . I can't believe he wasn't health checked , it takes seconds to check a bunny over . What can I do so angry and upset x

Is the Rescue in the UK? All you can do is hope and pray your rabbit hasn't caught it. Maybe speak to these people before they let it pass on to other rabbits.

Yes I don't know if can name ?? They do bunny boarding too so sad for all buns involved but selfishly worried about my ruby x

Yes I don't know if can name ?? They do bunny boarding too so sad for all buns involved but selfishly worried about my ruby x

Did they know they had myxi amongst their rabbits when you took Ruby there? You must be distraught, I hope she and your other bunnies are alright.

I hope the boarders have to be vaccinated to stay there too, it doesn't bear thinking about. :cry:

I honestly don't know . I think it's odd that you would put a bunny in with another and then realise it has myxi ? Surely it's obvious ?? But then I have never seen a bunny with it x I can't sleep , constantly checking her .

Thankfully if she's vaccinated the chances are she'll be ok. Plus we don't catch every disease we come into contact with. I think keeping an eye on her every day should be fine, and the chances are she won't get it.

I'm amazed about the rescue/boarding place, I'd be furious.

I go from being furious to being confused to hating myself for taking her there . She didn't ask for a friend x

I go from being furious to being confused to hating myself for taking her there . She didn't ask for a friend x

One thing's for sure there's no reason for you to blame yourself- you did the right thing by her getting her a friend especially if she's lonely.

It's the person who knowingly put her with a bun with myxi that's to blame!

x

You were doing your best for her, none of this is your fault. The fault is with the rescue/boarding place, if they knew that even one of their rabbits had myxi then they should never have accepted an 'outsider' bun into it. Awful :(

Thank you both x I really feel like I am wishing the next month away , please let her be ok x I have promised her the world if she stays with me x

How worrying :( Does the rescue not vaccinate their rabbits? Did they know the bun had myxi before putting him in with your bun? Hope your bun will be OK xx

What part of the country are you in ? It's important for all Rabbit owners to be aware of a large disease outbreak. You need not name the Rescue, just the geographical location.

Are they still rehoming and taking in Boarders ?

:( I was hoping maybe they did vaccinate, but the buns were infected within the first three weeks after being vaccinated. If your buns have been vaccinated for more than three weeks then hopefully they should be OK. You did the right thing by trying to find your bun a friend, when this scare has past maybe you could look for another rescue (that does vaccinate!) to find a partner. There's a list of rescues on Rabbit Rehome: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp xx

Apparently not which is why I'm so upset , it must have been obvious ? West Sussex area .

Thanks, I've posted a warning on the 'Sticky' thread in the 'Health' section.

I would flea treat all of your Rabbits. As they are vaccinated they will all hopefully be fine. Even if your Doe does develop symptoms it is very possible for her to recover.

Back