• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what litter do you use? i want to try something new

miss c

Young Bun
:wave: as above really i use shaving which arnt ideal and i think they smell in this weather, i tried back to nature and a pellet of some sort?? i dont remember but they wouldnt have either of them litter was dug out litter trays were chucked and they point blank refused to use the litter trays with that foreign stuff in it :roll::lol:!
But i think i would like to give it another go, i seem to remember preferring the back to nature but wondered what else is good and if it resembles shaving then even better ;)
thanks

I just use newspaper and hay. I previously used aubiose which is very good, like small/thin shavings but more absorbent and none of the associated risks.

For my mice I use a hemp bedding from zooplus - it's like aubiose but doesn't have any sharp bits. More expensive though.

ETA: I tried fitch as well, a lot of people swear by it.

Im using Megazorb in the litter trays, with a layer of hay ontop

Just got to the end of the first bag and its worked well, so I will get a couple more tomorrow

:)

I use easibed, which is recycled from the forestry industry. It's truly dust free and is the only one I've found to be so, and is cheaper too. I use it as the base and put hay on top.

We use Megazorb - and hay on top - works very well but I am very tempted to try Easibed next - looks a bit cheaper and seems to be all the rage amongst the horsey people (who seem as precious about their beasts as we are about ours :lol:) - if it does the same as Megazorb and is less pricey - I'm sold :thumb:

I use thick layer of newspaper with hay on top and change daily.

Wood shavings aren't recommended as they can cause respiratory problems.

Just a heads up about Easibed, it may be dust free but it is very likely to be mostly pine so will still contain the potentially dangerous phenols as other wood shavings.:wave:

Megazorb is a firm favourite here

We use Megazorb - and hay on top - works very well but I am very tempted to try Easibed next - looks a bit cheaper and seems to be all the rage amongst the horsey people (who seem as precious about their beasts as we are about ours :lol:) - if it does the same as Megazorb and is less pricey - I'm sold :thumb:

I tried Easibed but didn't find it anything like as absorbent as Megazorb.

Just a heads up about Easibed, it may be dust free but it is very likely to be mostly pine so will still contain the potentially dangerous phenols as other wood shavings.:wave:

It will almost certainly be entirely Sitka spruce, however there is no pine smell to it. Thanks for the heads up :)

You had me sold on the easibed now im stuck again lol! been looking at the auboise but the delivery is as much as the bag its self :roll:
Would this be any good? it says it natural fly replant but im not sure about the oils being ok for bunnies? or if would be absorbent? Just saw it while looking through and thought i would ask?

http://www.bedwellbedding.co.uk/horse.html

Basic recycled paper cat litter pellets :) I think it's one called biocatolet it's £10 for a huge bag which lasts quite well if you're only doing litter trays, really absorbent and Fergie never smells so it must work! :)
I just stick a layer of that then piles of hay on top of it :)

I use wood pellet litter in the litter trays, topped with hay. I found mine just dug at newspaper but they seem best with this. It's really absorbant and doesn't smell. I get a big bag from the range by natures own for £7.99. Pets at home do it I think it's £8.99 but often have 2 for £16 offers. Also Asda and Tesco do own brand small bags of it for only £2odd.

You had me sold on the easibed now im stuck again lol! been looking at the auboise but the delivery is as much as the bag its self :roll:
Would this be any good? it says it natural fly replant but im not sure about the oils being ok for bunnies? or if would be absorbent? Just saw it while looking through and thought i would ask?

http://www.bedwellbedding.co.uk/horse.html

I found aubiose very good but dusty and had to wear a mask with it which I don't with the easibed. With the linked bedding I personally would want to iron out the following -

To me lemon scented sounds like a synthetic lemon scent has been added rather than lemon and tea tree essential oils.
Rape plants are generally GM unless otherwise stated, though this may not be the case if it's UK sourced I would want to ask them first
It may have bitter herbs on, but straw can be eaten and can cause issues

I don't find that biocatolet or similar is as nice for them to dig as a chip type bedding, and also it tends to swell up and become wet so that the surface is damp, whereas aubiose/easibed/hemcore(another hemp one that I think is nicer than aubiose and not as dusty)/etc allow the wet to sink to the bottom and the surface remains dry.

I would avoid hemcore as it contains citronella. I'm not sure if tea tree is safe either.

I use this hemp stuff for my mice and have found it pretty good. Softer and less dusty than aubiose but more expensive.

Have you got any horse places locally? My local feed centre does aubiose for <£10 a bale.

Just newspaper and hay. I have tried a few different substrates over the years and keep coming back to this old standard.

I used Megazorb until recently when it changed its smell ,,,, now just use newspaper and lots of hay,,,

Much cheaper..

Fee x

I would avoid hemcore as it contains citronella. I'm not sure if tea tree is safe either.

There is no indication of that on the bale I had, I wonder if there are plain and citronella varieties?

All essential oils are unsafe neat but perfectly safe when diluted. However I would also not trust any bedding that had citronella/tea tree etc added as you don't know how pure the oil is. I use organic essential oils that I dilute myself and spray onto the substrate. I also half fill, spray, and then add the rest of the bedding just to be extra safe.

Back