• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Visit to a farm UPDATE: WENT AT WEEKEND

Sarah1991

Warren Veteran
We have a farm near us, Tweddles Farm in County Durham, they have a great range of animals from sheep, horses, cows, meerkats, otters, parrot and of course. Rabbits!

Years ago we had a parakeet names Jez, he was in a cage in our home for a number of years until we were told by a bird expert that he would be miserable alone and locked in a cage, so...for his own good, we gave him to Tweddle farm where he would be with his own kind and fly freely though the aviary there.

We want to go and see Jez and check up on him, the lady on the phone said he is doing great, loving being with the other birds and is a real cheeky chap. But I want to see it first hand to be sure.

Only problem is, I KNOW there will be rabbits there, I also know that they will not be vaccinated. They might very well be in with the guinea pigs and not have constant access to hay etc etc. I am so afraid of going because if I see rabbits that are not getting the care they should I will be upset. What do I do? =(

Last edited:
We have a farm near us, Tweddles Farm in County Durham, they have a great range of animals from sheep, horses, cows, meerkats, otters, parrot and of course. Rabbits!

Years ago we had a parakeet names Jez, he was in a cage in our home for a number of years until we were told by a bird expert that he would be miserable alone and locked in a cage, so...for his own good, we gave him to Tweddle farm where he would be with his own kind and fly freely though the aviary there.

We want to go and see Jez and check up on him, the lady on the phone said he is doing great, loving being with the other birds and is a real cheeky chap. But I want to see it first hand to be sure.

Only problem is, I KNOW there will be rabbits there, I also know that they will not be vaccinated. I am so afraid of going because if I see rabbits that are not getting the care they should I will be upset. What do I do? =(

Go armed with some RWAF Rabbit Care Leaflets :D

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/?section=leaflets.html

I was thinking about doing something like that but I'm afraid its going to be taken the wrong way and we might not be able to go and see Jez anymore if I upset them.

I would obviously try and be very polite and explain that I would not mean any offence, just that I would want the bunnies to get the best care possible. I have heard recently that they have got contis now...If I see a badly cared for conti I might cry =( I love my boys to the ends of the earth but I adore contis too....

Well, it sounds like they're a reasonable place taking Jez and caring for him nicely, and it sounds like you've got a contact there already. So, I think I'd have a look at the bunnies and if you don't like what you see just politely tell them!

This.

Difficult isn't it. I took my young grandson to Paradise Park Zoo last summer and was appalled by the conditions the rabbits were kept in. They were all single buns, fed muesli and veg, no hay in sight. BUT one of the rabbit facts notices informed that rabbits teeth were constantlygrowing. I asked one of the young girl 'keepers' why they didn't have hay and she informed me they sometimes had it for a treat. I was then asked why I was asking and was told none of their rabbits had dental problems.:evil: Oh and they were kept as singles so they didn't breed.

I had every intention if emailing them the next day with some informative links but that was the day Poppy died and I never did. Often feel bad for those rabbits though.

Either go, and don't go and look at the bunnies - ignorance is bliss!

Or go, look at the bunnies, and perhaps try suggesting one thing that could be changed. Like if they don't have any hay - politely suggest that they give them more and why. If that doesn't work you could take a bag of hay and say yours preferred a different type so you thought they might like this one. If they don't listen, at least you know you tried. And if they do listen, great!

If you are polite and seemingly being helpful, I don't see how they could be angry with you.

Well, we decided to go to Tweddle's Farm at the weekend, Saturday to be precise. We saw our parakeet who looked very happy! I was happy with the way he was kept, he was well fed and glad to be out in the sunshine. He also loves the other birds so, all is well! Here is a picture of him!

Now, on to the rabbits, here is a picture of how they were kept, there were three or four enclosures like this one.

It's not the worst I've ever seen, but its all just a bit ''scruffy'' =/ At least the rabbits had clean water, pellets and constant access to hay. Its a start. I saw one bunny with a slightly sore ear which looked like a bite to me. I have emailed them to suggest that they provide more shelters and toys for the rabbits, even offering to donate some of my own. I have also asked if they would like me to go once a week and do a health check on all of the bunnies there, ears, nails, bums the works. I don't know what they will come back with, or if they will even come back at all. But I'd love to make life a little better for these guys, they were mostly lion heads and very cute! I'll see what I can do. I can only try I guess...

Back