• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any ideas how to weigh a rabbit?

Karen's

Mama Doe
I have a lovely large English giant, recently adopted, and she needs to lose weight. I've had her two months now and her dewlap appears much reduced and when I stroke her I feel she has lost her body fat too.
I'd like to weight her but don't know how.
I think I could just about pick her up and hold her long enough to step onto the bathroom scales.
Anyone have any hints or tips?
Thank you
Here is my lovely lady now..
2d56a332982b731b96da58a0d0c207c5_zps3a519d1b.jpg

And when I first got her...

4fe05f80f618e560c72e10b88f4b5a8f_zps6705a17f.jpg

Last edited:
We weigh the rabbits in their carrier and deduct the weight of the carrier (using kitchen scales)

The best way to tell if a rabbit is at their ideal weight is through feeling them. You could be able to feel their spine and ribs through a layer of skin but they shouldn't be prominent/sticking out.

We weigh the rabbits in their carrier and deduct the weight of the carrier (using kitchen scales)

The best way to tell if a rabbit is at their ideal weight is through feeling them. You could be able to feel their spine and ribs through a layer of skin but they shouldn't be prominent/sticking out.

I also weigh mine in a cardboard carrier on kitchen scales, but can be tricky if they don't want to keep still. I'm not sure it would work for a giant bun either as most kitchen scales have a limit. Bathroom scales may be better if they are digital & precise (also depends on the margin of error wchich should be given in the spec)

Take her to the vets. Mine have a 'pet weight loss' scheme that the nurses oversee so its much cheaper than seeing the actual vet. It means the vets have her weight loss on file as well which is very useful.

Kitchen scales are more accurate but most only go up to 5kg so you'll probably need bathroom ones for a giant :) In a carrier is easier - or she might just sit on them for you if she's accommodating :D

For my last large rabbit, we weighed on the digital losing weight scales in the bathroom. We weigh at the vets every time we go for claws too. :)

I also weigh mine in a cardboard carrier on kitchen scales, but can be tricky if they don't want to keep still. I'm not sure it would work for a giant bun either as most kitchen scales have a limit. Bathroom scales may be better if they are digital & precise (also depends on the margin of error wchich should be given in the spec)
Very good point. Our heaviest bun is around 4.5kg and the carrier is about 4kg. Much heavier and our kitchen scales wouldn't do it!

Thanks everyone, I was going to do the stand on the bathroom scales without her, then with her and work out the difference. But my father in law has some digital luggage scales so I'll try that first with her in the dog crate and then just weigh the crate and work out the difference - why didn't I think of that! Brilliant idea!
I'm keen for her to lose weight so she can be spayed and have bunny friends. She's two and been on her own since she left her mum :(

Baby scales are really expensive, it's probably cheaper to just ring up a few vets and ask if you can do it there (or get the nurse to do it), they have really big and accurate scales :)

It is!!!

I can't say Hector is to pleased that his "Mii" is actually a cat..... :lol:

I used it for my bridge bun at first (a lop so a "dog") to monitor his weight when he was poorly. It's useful because it keeps a graph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Goodness, they think of everything! Apart from bunny mii :) just brilliant!

I use the 'bathroom scales while holding' method for the cat as it stops her wriggling. Use kitchen scales and plastic bowl for the buns but they are minis. My vet uses kitchen scales and a dog food bowl when he weighs them :shock: don't think they know what it is though so they don't expect to be eaten :)

Back