• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor run help against cats!

charlie024

New Kit
Hi all, our neighbour knocked on our door last night to warn us he'd just shooed a cat away from our garden. Apparently it was standing ontop of the metal run roof clawing at it trying to get in. Daisy ran and hid inside one of the tunnels. However I'm concerned now I know a cat is pestering her.
Is there anything I can do to prevent this? I leave them out in the run all day and get them in on an evening.
I'm worried as the neighbour said he's lost 3 rabbits through trauma from cats?!
Thanks in advance any advice appreciated

Is your run made from metal weldmesh? If it isn't i would recommend getting a new run made with 19g or 16g 1/2inch x 1/2 weldmesh, or at least attaching weldmesh to it somehow to physically stop the cat being able to claw at your bunny. There was a saftey warning about a certain type of metal run, which I used to have before I knew better:shock: further details on this linked post http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...osure-please-read&highlight=Metal+run+warning

Have you got a photograph of the run?

I think there are certain plants that repel cats - you could look in to that.

In that case I would definitely get some weld mesh and cover it, and if you don't already have a shelter of some sort get one sorted - even a cardboard box would be beneficial since it gives your bunny a safe place to bolt to. A tunnel doesn't make them feel as secure since they know it's open behind them.

Thanks for the advice. Will definitely do something. They've got a wooden box attached to the side.
First time using this forum and can't find out how to attach photo :shock:

Back