• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fly strike in indoor rabbits

Holhol

Alpha Buck
Just wondering how common this is/how worried I should be about it!

Fergie is an indoor bun with full free run of the biggest bedroom, and has his own area for at night. He only poos and wees in his giant litter tray (indoor hutch) which on a normal week gets cleaned of dirty stuff every day, and his entire area gets disinfected etc. once a week. He refuses to be completely litter trained into a storage box so I don't mind him using his indoor cage, it's a giant hay box anyway.
I've never ever worried about fly strike before but this week I've been really ill with food poisoning (still not better :() so haven't been good with cleaning. My mum/Fergies babysitter has been cleaning out poo/wee but I haven't been well enough to do a full clean and disinfect yet, it should have been done on Sunday but now it's Thursday and I'm worrying, I didn't want to have to ask my mum to do the full clean as I'm fussy about it and thought I'd only be poorly for a day or two.

I came in for a cuddle and a lie down with him before and noticed a couple of flies in the room, the window has been open for days and there's a couple of flies downstairs so I'm sure they've just come in but I'm just worrying. I checked him over and he is completely clean and normal so I'm sure he's fine, I shooed the flies out and I've asked my mum to help me disinfect tonight but I just wanted to check that he'll be ok!
I feel like a bad bunny mummy but I have literally not stopped being sick since Sunday and thought that puking on him/in his house wasn't a good idea :(

I'm off to the doctors now anyway, but just needed some reassurance/info! Xx

I would get him cleaned out asap to minimise the risk but don't beat yourself up too much - It's usually old, unwell or overweight rabbits who get fly strike as they can't keep themselves clean.

I'd ask your mum to do the tray on her own now if you aren't up to it - a clean out of any sort, even if it's not your usual standard, is better than no clean out at all :wave:

Hope you feel better soon!

I wouldn't worry too much. If you've checked him over and he's clean then the risk is minimal.

Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks - put my mind at ease a little bit!
My mums going to do him tonight and I'm checking for flies every few minutes to shoo them out! :)

I think it's only green bottles you have to worry about for fly-strike. Obviously all flies could potentially carry disease. Hope you are feeling better soon.

We have indoor buns - and they get cleaned 2x a week but we have fly screens on all our windows that get opened to minimise the risk - and an electric fly swatter (which I hate using but hate flys even more).

We have put rear guard on all our buns too - you could do that as an added precaution.

I've had buns for decades, and never had an incident of flystrike on any of my indoor buns. However I do check their bottoms regularly and also spray any flies that do come into the house, regardless of what type they are.

As long as your buns are healthy, mobile and do not have dirty bottoms, there should be no reason to worry. If you want to be on the safe side, then rearguard would be a good option.

Thanks for all your replies :) fly screens on the windows sound like an excellent idea! I might ebay those tonight! :)
They definitely weren't blue bottles and I haven't seen anymore in the room, he's very clean healthy and active so I'm probably just being paranoid but I'm keeping a close eye on everything for the next few days :)

I've got fly screens too. I didn't use to get many flies anyway but wanted to make sure and it stops all the annoying midgey things coming in too which is a bonus!

Back