• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Obesity Survey

vee-jay

Mama Doe
I have been asked by a vet at Glasgow vet school if I could help distribute her survey looking into rabbit obesity. If you would like fill in a questionnaire please send me an email at vivienj@btinternet.com and I can send you the survey and consent form, which once filled out can be sent to livia at Livia.benato@glasgow.ac.uk. Thank you :)

Risk Factors for Pet Rabbit Obesity

Rabbits are currently the third most popular pet in the UK behind cats and dogs. In all three of these species, obesity is a common problem; however, the research into rabbit obesity is much less advanced in comparison. It is suspected that around 28-30% of UK per rabbit population suffer from obesity. Obesity is a multi-factorial disease that can cause a wide range of serious health issues such as digestive upsets, urine scalding, arthritis, heart problems to name a few. However, what can predispose a rabbit to this condition is what needs to be explored further.

The aim of this project is to investigate these possible risk factors: what they are and how they contribute to rabbit obesity.

We would like to invite you to take part in our project; this consists of filling out a short questionnaire based on areas of rabbit care we think could influence obesity. It would be especially helpful if you could answer the questions as honestly as possible and provide as much detail as you can. The findings could be of great help in our understanding of rabbit obesity and improve the advice we are able to give to prevent it.

The participation is voluntary and if you choose to partake in the survey the information you provide will be kept strictly confidential. A consent form has been provided to ensure this.

We would like to thank you for completing the questionnaire and helping us to continue our project. If you have any questions about this study, please email to Livia.benato@glasgow.ac.uk.

This project has been approved by the Ethics Committee of the University of Glasgow

Back