• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Controversial ... do any of you eat rabbit?

Kim_perkins

Mama Doe
Most of you will be shocked by that statement!

I do not! But I saw something in thr news the other day about rabbit meat being a new "super" meat and all its benefits.

I was devastated!

Admittedly I do eat meat (it's personal choice) but I only eat certain meats, well to be honest only chicken!

Just wondered what people views were??

My nan loves rabbit she always bangs on about how when she was younger they would go and hunt rabbits and have good hearty dinners because that's what you did back then.

What do you think??

Is there any need to eat rabbit? I've heard it's very boney and seemingly pointless trying to eat. I almost cry when I see dead wild rabbits in the roads!

I do eat meat, but I don't (knowingly anyway) eat rabbit, or horse, I just couldn't bring myself to eat an animal that I have or had as a pet. I once ate curried goat years ago in Jamaica, but now I've got goats myself I couldn't eat that now either.

No but I don't eat meat that often now, usually on Sundays. I wouldn't try rabbit though. But my mom said she had rabbit once and it tasted slimy, not a lot of meat there really!

Last edited:
No. I don't eat any meat.

I have a lot of respect for people that can farm their own animals and look after them properly then eat them instead of buying factory farmed meat, rabbits included, but I personably just couldn't do it

I used to have it as a child, in stews, but that was over 35 years ago! The thought of it makes me feel quite sick now.

I do eat meat, but I don't (knowingly anyway) eat rabbit, or horse, I just couldn't bring myself to eat an animal that I have or had as a pet. I once ate curried goat years ago in Jamaica, but now I've got goats myself I couldn't eat that now either.

I guess I'm the same I wouldn't eat it out of choice or if I knew! That's why I worry about buying things at supermarkets I always think "what if"

I am Vegetarian (have been for about 30 years). To my knowledge I have never eaten Rabbit. But if I had I would not feel any different to how I feel about having eaten Cow or Pig or Lamb etc. Just because I dont keep them as Pets does not make me feel any different toward them.

If people eat meat, including Rabbit, then I'd much rather the Rabbits were kept well and killed humanely in a small holder setting than mass produced in a Rabbit Farm setting. I personally cant differentiate between any species of animal when it comes to what ones can or cannot be eaten.

No as red meat gives me indigestion. I've never tried rabbit but my fiance says it doesn't taste very nice.

I had it as a child. ..didn't like it much and the carcass looked like what I would imagine a cats carcass to look like. So even if I didn't regard rabbits like I do..I wouldn't eat it.

I've eaten (wild-caught) rabbit once in the past - it wasn't nice, to me it just tasted of fur and rabbity-smell. It was like licking a pet rabbit! Bleeeugh!

nope I don't think I ever did when I ate meat at all but as said previously, what difference does it make whether its a rabbit, horse, cow or chicken? It is still a living being capable of feeling and should be treated as such whether raised for meat or pets. As long as the welfare is good.

No. That's because the meat doesn't appeal to me, though; I don't care whether I have the animal as a pet or not. The only meat I won't eat due to cruelty/personal opposition is halal. If rabbit appealed to me then of course I'd eat it :)

My family used to eat rabbit a lot when I was a teen. I haven't eaten it in the last few years but I don't have a problem with eating it.

I haven't, but I went veggie at 12 so less time to try a wide variety :lol:

I don't have any issue with meat being eaten as long as the welfare of the animal is considered, and that would include rabbits.

I was conned into eating a rabbit stew many years ago as my ex partner's family were the farming type, where they shot rabbits, pidgeon, pheasants & duck etc. I was revolted that they actually made a film of all the rabbits they had killed and lined up in a row :cry:

Now I only eat organic free range meat (very rarely) and only eat organic eggs ( I used to have my own free range ex-batts) but I'm mainly pescatarian.

It is surprising how many people will only buy free range eggs but don't realise that most processed products like coleslaw & cakes etc contain non-free range eggs! I always check the lables carefully.

I was conned into eating a rabbit stew many years ago as my ex partner's family were the farming type, where they shot rabbits, pidgeon, pheasants & duck etc. I was revolted that they actually made a film of all the rabbits they had killed and lined up in a row :cry:

Now I only eat organic free range meat (very rarely) and only eat organic eggs ( I used to have my own free range ex-batts) but I'm mainly pescatarian.

It is surprising how many people will only buy free range eggs but don't realise that most processed products like coleslaw & cakes etc contain non-free range eggs! I always check the lables carefully.

This is very true hence why I use my own eggs and any thing egg based I make myself. Tastes much better :)

I eat meat not all that often though but I dont see anything different with eating rabbit to other meats, infact I would go so far to say as rabbit isnt farmed for meat that the rabbit probably has a better quality of life than most meat consumed. Ive eaten rabbit and I think as meat goes its very delicious.

Back