• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

'Bad' Advice That you Initially Took as Being Correct

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I remember being told that my House Rabbits were not at risk of contracting VHD because the virus was 'almost impossible to pass on' !! It was a Vet who imparted that mis-information to me in my early days of having Rabbits. So for the first 4 years none of my Rabbits were vaccinated.

I was also told that it is 'normal' for Rabbits to leave lots of cecal poos as it was really only wild Rabbits that ate all theirs :shock: That gem came courtesy of Petsmart, now P@H :roll:

So what pearls of wisdom have you heard that at first you took to be correct and how did you find out that the information given to you was wrong ?

I found out about the importance of vaccination when I joined the RWAF. Same with the cecal poop issues too.

Rabbits love to eat whole carrots and ice berg lettuce! :censored: p@h again but ages ago when we were picking up some food for my previous rabbit they gave some 'advice'
Also muesli is the 'best food for them!'
found out its not through my own research

Courtesy of p@h: rabbits don't need a friend, they're going to fight anyway and hay isn't necessary as long as they have pellets/ muesli :evil::roll:

'I can't tell there is something wrong with my rabbit just because she is off her food for a day'

Erm yes I can thank you.

"Dentals are expensive.. Why don't you just do what we do and clip them yourself?"

This coming from a guy who keeps 12 rabbits in a 6x4 shed because he shows them. How they are kept I have no idea.

This was also when Poppy was very poorly and was having her first dental so it was new to me, I just thought it was something people did :censored: Still angry with myself for considering it for all of 2 seconds :censored:

Last edited:
"They'll be fine in a cage over night"

"They love lettuce"

I didn't take this as good because I already new better, but Marbles previous owner said that she didn't need vaccinating because she's a house rabbit.

"They sleep most of the night" PAHAHA definitely not true!!

"Girls will be fine together unspayed"

"They don't take up much room"

"They don't need many toys, they just eat all the time"

A non rabbit savvy vet told me to have my bun pts because of her needing dentals .. said it was the only way and she would die any way :'(

Needless to say after lots of correct advice and a new vet she is healthy and happy!

Think mine would be the thing about using pineapple juice for a rabbit that's not eating, I've read it a few times on here and was advised the same by a vet (who did turn out to be a trollop-hag).

Think mine would be the thing about using pineapple juice for a rabbit that's not eating, I've read it a few times on here and was advised the same by a vet (who did turn out to be a trollop-hag).

and a distant cousin of a knob womble !! Another of your famous adjectives !! :lol:

and a distant cousin of a knob womble !! Another of your famous adjectives !! :lol:

The mildly amusing thing is I'm learning all these fantastic insults through my job as a teacher, kids are brilliant at coming up with new and interesting ways to insult each other. :shock:

Last edited:
That a hutch was fine if a rabbit could sit three times in a row (like putting one rabbit end to end and then again), I think that's the worst. I think I either got it mixed up with the hops, or the person telling me did. :(

"They'll be fine in a cage overnight"

Same here - I was sure this was the case. Barney did not agree at all and banged about and chewed his bars all night until he woke me up to let him out :lol: I only know proper rabbit care from coming on here and the RSPCA/RWAF websites, I didn't have a clue when I got him :oops:

Courtesy of the local rspca ( I want to add this was back in 1999/2000)

"Just pick two you like they will be fine together" - bless the girls they never fought ... How i don't know!

"There both spayed" - 9 days later Magic gives birth

"There your rabbits now it's nothing to do with us she had babies"

:shock::roll:

That it was ok to do a conscious dental on molars

...my bun died a couple of days later. :( I was about 15 so didn't know any better. Now I'd say hell no. I assume she had stasis. I still feel guilty and it was 8 years ago. Probably why I go ott now

Ive probably the worst, when I was a toddler growing up my *bad word!* of a mother convinced me that you're meant to pick a bunny up by it's ears! :'( Did it two or three times before I found out from my dad, felt terrible ever since...

My first rabbit vet for Chrissy told me to hang a bottle with pineapple juice next to her water bottle at all times and that she would if she had fur balls. I put the pineapple juice in her cage and she drank it all at once and drank no water. She had runny poos. I called the vet and she said. That means that she has bad fur balls give her another bottle. I said if I do that she will just drink it all and no water.She said she needs it.:shock: Didn't go back there.

That a bloody discharge is "just an infection" and "no, it's highly unlikely to be cancer". I lost my first beautiful dutch bunny to uterine cancer as a direct result of that pants advice :cry:.

I'm really lucky that I found r u very early on in my rabbit keeping. Now i know where to go for good advice and to check what others are telling me. Thanks everyone!

I can't think of much, actually. Two that stick in my mind though was allowing Marley and Dolly into a run with my old piggies. Feeding seed treats to aid dental wear. I've heard some corkers but not many I've actually listened to as it's been from pet shop owners!

Back