• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you ever wish you didn't know so much about rabbits?!

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
As much as I'm pleased that I've learnt so much and know that my rabbits are happy, well provided for and well cared for, I sometimes wish I didn't constantly get that sinking feeling pretty much every time I see other rabbits because I'm scrutinising their housing, amount of hay, cleanliness, whether they're alone etc etc. Just seen an ad on Facebook selling baby rabbits for £10 each - 10 of them 😳 In a cage on wood shavings with no hay and just a bowl of muesli, another pic shows them in a box full of grass that's been picked for them. It says boys and girls have now been separated, which I find hard to believe that it will have been done accurately :( So now not only am I worried for them now but where they'll end up and how they'll be kept for the rest of their lives :( If I go anywhere where rabbits are for sale and I overhear people asking about them I'm saying in my head 'don't get them you won't look after them properly!' I know ignorance is the problem, but sometimes I wish I was ignorant so I could just appreciate a cute bunny again without feeling sick and sorry for them :cry:

I know what you mean - I don't go on sites like that anymore as it upsets me - selfish I know but I used to try and give advice and get abused in the process :(

They say ignorance is bliss but when I'm "into" something I try to find out all I can. There really is no excuse now with everyone owning a cp. I think it's passed on from one generation to the next, this is how we keep rabbits, so no-one questions it. It's so sad isn't it. People round here advertise large rabbit hutch, 4' long, suitable for 2 large rabbits. And they think neutering is cruel. I could go on.:cry:

I know what you mean - I don't go on sites like that anymore as it upsets me - selfish I know but I used to try and give advice and get abused in the process :(

Same here, this is why I stay away from facebook groups too, I felt like a broken record.

It's actually just a Facebook selling page that doesn't allow selling pets so it's prob been deleted now. Just wish I could go and get every one of those poor babies :( There was one little agouti that looked a lot smaller than the others, I've always wanted an agouti, but four is plenty for me unfortunately, if money and space weren't an issue I'd have them all.

Exactly, I did think of messaging them asking if they know that they should have unlimited hay etc but I've tried before and people just don't want to hear it, they just have the attitude that 'I've always done it this way and they're fine' and they don't think anything of ot when their rabbit dies at 2/3/4yrs old. When I've mentioned to people rabbits live about 10yrs and they're always surprised thinking they only live a few years and I think yes cos most owners won't have a clue about stasis, cancer in unspayed females, dental issues etc etc :(

Yep, it frustrates me how ignorant people can be and at one point was affecting my health.. I tell myself now "I've done what I can, I can't do anything about it now, I need to forget about it". Otherwise I do nothing but stress about everything I see and hear.

Every time I see someone on FB has bought a rabbit I think "Oh noooooo!". I can't help it! :oops:

To be fair, one girl has asked me for advice a few times and said when her boy was neutered she wants to rescue a friend for him... So I'll let her off! :lol::p

Yep, it frustrates me how ignorant people can be and at one point was affecting my health.. I tell myself now "I've done what I can, I can't do anything about it now, I need to forget about it". Otherwise I do nothing but stress about everything I see and hear.

:( That's what I keep having to tell myself, it's kept me awake at night many times :(

Every time I see someone on FB has bought a rabbit I think "Oh noooooo!". I can't help it! :oops:

To be fair, one girl has asked me for advice a few times and said when her boy was neutered she wants to rescue a friend for him... So I'll let her off! :lol::p

Me too, and unfortunately it's not unusual to see 'my/our rabbits died :('

No. Because without that knowledge 17 beautiful bunnies wouldn't of had the lovely life they have/had. I spend most my time paranoid somebun is ill but more than once that paranoia has saved a life. Neglect by others makes me angry, sad you name it, but I for one am glad that I'm no longer ignorant and that for my bunnies, even if its just a handful in the big picture, have a better life.

No. Because without that knowledge 17 beautiful bunnies wouldn't of had the lovely life they have/had. I spend most my time paranoid somebun is ill but more than once that paranoia has saved a life. Neglect by others makes me angry, sad you name it, but I for one am glad that I'm no longer ignorant and that for my bunnies, even if its just a handful in the big picture, have a better life.

Of course I totally agree with you and feel the same, but just in those moments I wish I could feel happy when I see a bunny and not sad :(

I looked after a "friend's" rabbits the other week (2 I had rescued from an awful place) and when I went up the first day to feed and clean hem I was so disappointed. The room had no air coming in for a start and it was a hot day, so I opened the window and back door, the carpet had been chewed and the rest of the setup was just as it had been for the original rabbits. The "hayrack" looked more like a soap dish and there was straw in their small litter trays. Now her and me have spoke about the importance of hay etc but it's not made any difference! They are still doing what they've done for 11 years. I was so upset when I saw them and thought they would have been better staying with me even though I have a lot.. My friend says they are treated like Royalty but I just don't see it. They'd had lots of time to redo the set up, make it more pleasant, more air coming in and bigger litter trays so what is the problem. They have no children or other animals so imo they could make it a super bunny palace even with access to outdoors. Why not I ask myself. Oh dear! (Sorry)

As much as I'm pleased that I've learnt so much and know that my rabbits are happy, well provided for and well cared for, I sometimes wish I didn't constantly get that sinking feeling pretty much every time I see other rabbits because I'm scrutinising their housing, amount of hay, cleanliness, whether they're alone etc etc. Just seen an ad on Facebook selling baby rabbits for £10 each - 10 of them  In a cage on wood shavings with no hay and just a bowl of muesli, another pic shows them in a box full of grass that's been picked for them. It says boys and girls have now been separated, which I find hard to believe that it will have been done accurately :( So now not only am I worried for them now but where they'll end up and how they'll be kept for the rest of their lives :( If I go anywhere where rabbits are for sale and I overhear people asking about them I'm saying in my head 'don't get them you won't look after them properly!' I know ignorance is the problem, but sometimes I wish I was ignorant so I could just appreciate a cute bunny again without feeling sick and sorry for them :cry:

TBH I would love to know more, especially the veterinary side of things. But I can at a glance tell from a photo or real life now if a rabbit is ill or in bad accommodation and the fact there is so much of it depresses me. It is like fighting a constant tide :(

I'm very greatful for the knowledge I have but I do feel the same.

As soon as I see my rabbit having an off day I have a mental check list ....check droppings, check food and water feel tummy lol

I drive myself mad!

I'm very greatful for the knowledge I have but I do feel the same.

As soon as I see my rabbit having an off day I have a mental check list ....check droppings, check food and water feel tummy lol

I drive myself mad![/QUOTE]

Yep - me too. It's funny really - my hubby has been a bit unwell with something unknown recently - and I just say 'oh dear - take yourself to the doctor'. If it is a rabbit whose slighty off - then it is full panic stations and calls to the vet:oops:

My nephew re-homed a rabbit a few months ago - and the poor boys hutch is one of those small, stupid things. I have mentioned so many times it is too small - I think my brother & SIL have got the message and Simba now is free range during the day. However - they allowed Simba to mate with another girl from the place they got him from:evil: - and they have taken one of Simbas daughters for my niece. Simba is now thankfully neutered so no more babies from him.

So my SIL asks me about putting them together - and I give loads of advice about neutral area, etc etc etc - and what do they do? Just throw them together and post on FB how funny it was watching Simba chase this poor baby rabbit girl. Made my blood boil:evil:.

But - thankfully - no blood shed and Simba and his daughter are bonded - and each have their own tiny hutch but free range together during the day.

I also sent SIL a RWAF showing that Myxi is rife in their area - but I doubt she's done anything about that.

Just really annoys - they can easily afford to give their buns a great life - and they actually think they are - but just won't listen to advice. Although I did shout at my niece - Simba was outside in his run -and she was running around with the hosepipe spraying the dogs and thinking it funny that Simba was getting wet - boy did I have a go at her. I normally never shout at anyones kids - but when it comes to animals - I really don't give a flying monkey whom I offend.

Haha! That's me all over, it's almost like I don't care about humans but I do! I worry more about my animals more then my partner or myself!

Yes, I wish I ddin't know as much sometimes. I think I stress more about them having 'perfect' lives, mine and other peoples, and always assume the worst when people I know get a rabbit, even when they mean well.

Back