• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore hocks? Bleeding

Lucy-Lou

Mama Doe
Cleaned Priscilla's little fleece house today and there's bloodstains on the bottom of it. I'd just clipped her claws and was worried I'd caught one, but I've checked and there's no blood coming from any of them and they all look tidy :?

The only other thing I can think of is it's the soles of her feet? It's just on the heels and looks a bit red and cracked, but doesn't look severe or anything. She will let me touch her feet but flinches when I touch the sores, so I'm worried it's painful for her :( The (rabbit-savvy) vet has seen her feet before and thought they would be okay without treatment, and the skin on the heels would just harden on its own.

I'm sure it's from Priscilla as Barney can't fit in her little house. And the stains don't seem to be from wee/caecs as it's dark and there's no smell (she always uses her litter tray as well) and her bum is clean.

Any advice on what it could be greatly appreciated. I'll book her in the vets if needed but don't want to stress her if it's not necessary.

Personally, I wouldn't take her to the vet. Her hocks really don't look that bad. If it were me I would put a dab of Manuka Honey umf 17+ on them and just watch them. I actually think going to the vet is stressful and even a little bit risky for rabbits (in that sick animals are there all so there are germs there...) so I wouldn't go unless you really have to.

Last edited:
Her hocks are not bad at all. I suspect the 'blood' may have been dark wee drips. But obviously I cant say for certain so if you are concerned then a Vet check could at least put your mind a rest.

Thanks I will keep an eye on it for now as it's not too bad.. It doesn't seem to hurt her when she's walking so hopefully she'll be fine :)

Is she spayed?

I got her from the RSPCA and they confirmed that she is. I did wonder about this though as she has some aggressive behaviours (growling, lunging at fingers, constantly stamping feet.) I'm sure she must be spayed as they do them all before they leave the centre usually don't they? :? I can't see a scar or anything as her belly is too fluffy.

I got her from the RSPCA and they confirmed that she is. I did wonder about this though as she has some aggressive behaviours (growling, lunging at fingers, constantly stamping feet.) I'm sure she must be spayed as they do them all before they leave the centre usually don't they? :? I can't see a scar or anything as her belly is too fluffy.

If she was spayed a long time ago, any scar will have healed. One of my females (all spayed) is quite grumpy. She stamps every time I handle her and she will lunge and grunt or growl at me too. But she is also friendly and affectionate when it suits her. That is just the way she is. The best thing you could do is ask for them to send you proof of the spay (my local rescue always give us the original vaccination and neutering card) or get your own vet to confirm the spay took place.

Her hocks haven't bled, you can tell that as there aren't any scabs.

They look identical to Thumper's hocks. The best thing you can do for sore hocks is to ensure that the ground she walks on is covered with a very thick layer of hay. Thumper and Coco both have sore hocks with Thumper being the worst - she has white fur as opposed to Coco's brown fur on her feet but after having 2 lots of steroid cream which helped but didn't cure, a few times having Sudocrem smeared onto them which didn't seem to help at all, I gave up putting anything on them but ensured that the floor of the shed and the outdoor run had a really good thick layer of hay. They are now healing nicely. Slowly, but nicely :thumb:

Back