• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Meet the Bagpuss bunnies

Santa

Wise Old Thumper
Taking photos of baby bunnies is easier said than done :lol:

Last week I was asked to see if I could help someone who needed to find rescue places for a number of bunnies where breeding had started to get out of control. Details were sketchy so yesterday Lou and I went along to try and sex and separate the bunnies, so that we could start to put some rescue feelers out. As is probably predictable, rather than coming away with notes and information we came away with six rabbits :oops::lol: There is still a week old litter there, so we are planning on going back in several weeks to sex those and see if we can help sort out places for those too (so if there are any rescues just desperate to take a couple of youngsters or a whole litter, please do get in touch!!) Our main aim was to take all the girls so that the same wouldn't happen 4,5,6 times over with multiple mums!

So, the six...Lou (thanks Lou - I couldn't do any of this without you!!) has the two boys, I have four girls...well they are possibly girls anyway! Some of them are still very little so it's still fairly hard to tell gender but this is what we think at the moment. We think the smaller ones are only about 5 weeks old (between 425 and 480g), and were removed from mum when she gave birth again having got pregnant straight away :( I've decided to name them after Bagpuss characters, so please meet:

I have taken loads more photos (most of them are just blurs) but our broadband is faulty at the moment so it is taking about 20 minutes to upload each pic. I will add more as I am able!

So please meet (L-R) Emily, Gabrielle, JennieMouse and Lizzie Livewire :love:

IMG_4260_zpsad9b6be0.jpg

Last edited:
I hope so, it's a shame we couldn't take them all because you never know - you've just got to hope that they have learnt their lesson and that they can't pop them out in a run for just 5 minutes while they clean the hutch...but at least Lizzie Livewire now won't get pregnant by her dad and the others won't get pregnant by their dad or siblings either! There was some negotiation because they wanted to keep the little white one, but we think she's a female so we ended up saying that we were only going to help if they would let us take all the females from the litters. And we were worried about her, she was very quiet and sitting hunched with a very messy underside, so I wanted to get her to a vet. Both the smallest ones had no formed poos in their guts at all and had very sloppy and gurgly guts, so they have been getting supportive therapy. Today they are both more lively (I had forgotten how much of a handful baby bunnies are!!) and are nice and clean underneath so I think things are heading in the right direction. Now we just have to work out what the hell we're going to do with them all :lol:

Last edited:
Broadband has been fixed so here are some more pics :love:

Little Jenniemouse the smallest of the four and who I don't think had been allowed near the food when there were 9 in together, now proving that she knows where the food is and isn't going to lose it :lol:
imagejpg1_zps47ac5489.jpg

Gabrielle being a good girl and eating up her hay
imagejpg2_zpsca1f14f6.jpg

Emily doing proper poos for the first time - albeit tiny and next to, rather than in the tray (she can and does jump in this big tray, there is also a lower one ;-))
imagejpg3_zps34b8491f.jpg

Lizzie doesn't have her own photo because she doesn't stay still for long enough :lol: instead you can see her hogging the limelight in their group shot.
imagejpg6_zps550fb726.jpg

What happens if you give 4 teeny bunnies a 6x3 hutch? Yup, that's right,they all sit in a tray together :lol:
imagejpg5_zpse10b01f9.jpg

Got any grub for us?
imagejpg4_zps7a28ba92.jpg

Ooh bless them all, you are a fab lady for rescuing them. I hope you can get the rest too. Poor mum being over bred like that :(

Are you quite sure I can't tempt you back into bunnies, Sarah, Lou and I have plenty for you to choose from? Why don't you pop over and visit soon ;) Little Gabrielle is soooooo adorable, she comes running to the front to say hello - the others just want their grub, she wants nose rubs :love:

They are so cute and lucky that you came to their rescue :)

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

Oh what gorgeous girlies, they are so lucky to have you as their guardian angel. Hope the boys, with Lou, are also doing well. Well done both of you :thumb:

Back