• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

should i get a second rabbit ?

hoppet22

New Kit
i am planning on adopting a rabbit from my local animal shelter and i have chosen one i would like to adopt when she is ready to be rehomed in a few weeks , i think she is a dwarf lop eared. iv never owned rabbit before and i heard that they are happier living with another rabbit so should i get a second rabbit , if i should what type of rabbit can i get? does it have to be the same type and should i get male or female ? also how do i introduce them because if they end up not getting along then i cant really afford another hutch and run.

As you are planning from adopting from a rescue (well done :thumb:)) , then it would be best to adopt a bonded pair. Most rescues neuter and vaccinate their buns, and many bond single buns into pairs before rehoming. Usually male/female pairs are best, but some may be female/female or male/male siblings.

In my area it is hard to find a single bun as the rescues try to bond into pairs as soon as possible, so that single buns do not get adopted out single with the potential of being kept single and lonley.

Back