• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excess Cecotropes.

LeahsRabbits

Warren Scout
Hello everyone, I know I don't post here much, but I really need to get to the bottom of the issue we're experiencing and was hoping you could help.

I have 2 neutered male bunnies (Blossom and Leo) - for well over a year now, they have been leaving excess Cecotropes around the shed in which they live in. In this time I have attempted so many methods, including changing pellet brands, hay brands, offering probiotics, cutting out all treats, having them on a hay only diet, changing pellet amounts, taking them to the vet (who gave the all clear) and finally worming them. All of which have failed to make difference.

They currently live in a 6x5ft shed with a 6x5ft run attached, they eat tons of hay and get an egg cup of Science Selective pellets daily. They don't often get veg and forage due to this reason, however, they do have access to fresh grass when free ranging, but this isn't every single day, whereas they both leave cecals every day.

Blossom is 5 years old, I see him reaching down and eating cecals, aswell as washing down there so I am oblivious to think it's arthritic problems. The issue here is excess cecals, not leaving them all. He had a dental back in February, but even before and after the dental he was leaving them for no apparent reason. He eats fine and shows no symptoms of needing another.

Leo is 1 year old, obviously doesn't have arthritic problems and his teeth were claimed to be perfect by the veterinarian.

So, despite trying everything I can think of - is there anything else I can do to try and make this issue stop? It does get me down. There is rarely days where no cecals are present when I see them in the morning.

Last edited:
What is the dynamics of their relationship like ? Any bullying, food aggression, dominance humping ?

Stress can cause excess/uneaten cecal issues.

When you tried them on a hay only diet how long did you persevere for. It would need to be for at least 2 weeks, you may not see any improvement at all before that amount of time.

Is it definitely both Rabbits who are leaving their cecals ?

What is the dynamics of their relationship like ? Any bullying, food aggression, dominance humping ?

Stress can cause excess/uneaten cecal issues.

When you tried them on a hay only diet how long did you persevere for. It would need to be for at least 2 weeks, you may not see any improvement at all before that amount of time.

Is it definitely both Rabbits who are leaving their cecals ?

Hi, they have a very strong bond - Leo is always grooming Blossom, they always follow each other, snuggle together, eat their hay together etc .. it only took 4 days before they moved in together when I began bonding.

I feed pellets seperately as Blossom tends to eat faster than Leo. Leo is a tiny bunny with a small mouth haha, but when I have fed them together in the past there has been no food aggression at all.

They never mount, chase, nip.. nothing. They've had the odd few spats occasionally which is normal.

The hay only diet was several months back, I think it was for about a week. Do you reccomend I try again for 2 weeks this time? Just hay and nothing else?

Definitely both who are leaving them yes. I've seen them :(

As long as they are both really good hay eaters and you feed a good quality hay then, yes, persevering for longer than a week is certainly worth a try.

I would weigh them at the start and again every 2-3 days to make sure that neither of them are losing weight during the two week hay only diet.
You could mix a few bramble leaves (fresh or dried) into the hay, they may help.

Have you tried giving Fibreplex ?

As long as they are both really good hay eaters and you feed a good quality hay then, yes, persevering for longer than a week is certainly worth a try.

I would weigh them at the start and again every 2-3 days to make sure that neither of them are losing weight during the two week hay only diet.
You could mix a few bramble leaves (fresh or dried) into the hay, they may help.

Have you tried giving Fibreplex ?

Yes the weight loss it what I was concerned about as they aren't the biggest bunnies as it is. I will be sure to weigh them every 3 or so days. No I haven't given fibreplex!

Back