• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flopsy is on borrowed time U/D he has passed away 16th October

Jackaroonie

Mama Doe
I have been debating whether to start this thread or not. It's hard to accept that Flopsy's time is running short. :cry:

For those that do not know already Flopsy has had kidney disease for the past year & 2 months. He has been on half a fortekor tablet daily and fortunately his kidneys have remained stable and haven't deteriorated. Which is great. However back in April he was diagnosed with heart disease following a blood test and an ultrasound which revealed his heart muscles were very thick. Due to his heart not working properly it resulted in his liver congesting. On top of this Flopsy is also a dental bunny and suffers with tooth root pain (He has been on long term metacam since April 2012). His last dental was almost 2 months ago. John checked his teeth and fortunately all is well at the moment. An anaesthetic now is pretty risky for flopsy to undergo so I am relieved he does not need one. He too has arthritis and it has been gradually getting worse as he ages and even more so now his heart is poorly.

We went in last friday to see John as Flopsy had deteriorated. He had lost quite a lot of weight, appetite had decreased, he was sleeping and resting a lot more than usually and generally looked in pain. This was despite being on 0.7ml of the dog metacam twice daily . It was awful seeing him look uncomfortable and in pain. I was expecting him to be needing a dental. However J checked and his teeth at the moment are ok which is a relief. He weighed just 1.49kg last friday. J said to up his 1/2 a vetmedin tablet daily to twice a day and monitor him over the weekend for any improvements. There wasn't any significant or noticeable improvement, nor was there any weight gain when we went back on Monday.

So J has now prescribed Flopsy tramadol which he has to have 1/2 a capsule twice a day. Flopsy does not like the taste of it so I am putting it in his morning and evening meal. I am also feeding him 2 -3 times a day consisting of a softened pellet & rolled oat mix. I soak his Science selective mature pellets and then mash them up; I then mix with a tablespoon of rolled oats and a scoop of protexin pro fibre. He much prefers his food to be softened. This has been working well and he seems to like his new routine.

I have weighed Flopsy tonight and he now weighs 1.63kg so has gained 140g since Monday (If i have got my calculations right). Which is absolutely great and must mean that things are working better now. I am really pleased and I hope J will be too when we go back on Monday for his checkup. Although he still looks a little uncomfortable at times - I feel things have improved slightly now with his extra vetmedin dose and the tramadol too. I know that this does not mean I can get my hopes up - as he is still very poorly and he can't get better. However if we can stabilize his health and keep his pain under control - we can hopefully have some more weeks and possibly months left with him.

Flopsy's medicine list:

Metacam 0.7ml twice daily (tooth root pain & arthritis)
Fortekor 1/2 tablet daily (Kidney disease)
Vetmedin 1/2 tablet twice daily (Heart disease)
Tramadol 1/2 capsule twice daily (Pain)

Flopsy has deteriorated so much in the past 7 months of this year. It's only when you look back at photos that you realise - It really brings it all into perspective. It is so sad and heartbreaking watching somebody or somebunny fade away to illness. :( I do not want Flopsy to suffer or to be in pain. However at the moment he still remains enthusiastic about his medication which he willingly takes it all with no trouble. He really does look forward to med time and his meals.

This is my poor uncomfortable boy before the tramadol started taking effect. :(

14631479122_bb4cb0cd84.jpg

He spends a lot of his time resting and sleeping now.

14445335018_b31bc77083.jpg

14608946306_625a0cb827.jpg

Here he is having his morning meal

14627829924_30a663f306.jpg

Breakfast in bed!

14443362238_5277860d63.jpg

14443524208_1c22ab9383.jpg

Having his night-time meal

14649907523_baf30c7585.jpg

14629936475_dbab87350d.jpg

Some more photos of Flopsy over the past few days :love:

14626865251_23d3afac89.jpg

14443537028_f08d79c731.jpg

Eating a dandelion (which took him forever to eat!)

14443448108_140a0a405a.jpg

With hunbun Lily :love:

14649952393_ff5bca2588.jpg

Last edited:
I've been following Flopsy's progress, he's such a lovely bunny, and you look after him so well. I think he looks much better in the photos since Monday, and the fact he has put on 140g in that space of time must be a good thing. I haven't had a bunny with kidney disease, but my bridge cat had it, so I know how hard it is :cry: I hope he remains stable and happy for a long time yet :thumb:

Flopsy is lovely, and is getting great care. I hope you both have many more weeks together.

Sending vibes x

I think you are the best bunny owner ever, for someone of your age. Your dedication is so amazing :love: you are doing everything you can for little Flopsy, and i am sure he knows :love: i hope you have a good while with him yet xxx

Poor Flopsy :cry: Looks like the tramadol is helping and he's still enjoying life. They're such an adorable couple :love: Hope he can remain comfortable for as long as possible. Sending lots of vibes xx

You are doing an amazing job with Flopsy. He is very lucky to have someone so dedicated caring for him. I've not had a bunny with kidney disease, but one of my cats had it and it was very hard to see him gradually deteriorate.

I hope that Flopsy can stay comfortable for a good while yet. xx

Adding my vibes for Flopsy. You've done really well with making sure he has the best possible life. :thumb:

Such an adorable old man. :love: He is lucky to have you looking after him. Hope the tramadol helps with the pain and that Flopsy has much more time with you.

Thank you everyone.

We have a checkup tonight at 17:20pm.
Flopsy has gained a further 30g on top of the 140g.
So that's a 170g weight gain in a week since our last visit.

It'll be great if we can stabilise him and have a few more weeks/months with him :love:

Bless him xxxxxxx

He such a lovely little fella and it great that he has put on some weight.

Sending lots of vibes for him and you too Jack xx

Great news, Flopsy has gained 180 grams since last week. John was very pleased with how he's responded. :D

We've not got to go back for another 4 weeks. Have got to continue with what we are doing. Hopefully he can gain some more weight in that time too.

I'm so relieved that he's responded well to the extra heart tablet and the tramadol. I am not ready to say goodbye. Although I know that he's not going to get better - if his health can be stabilised then he could have a few more months or even more longer with us & Lily.

Thanks Rabcat & Olices xx

Flopsy has the best thing going for him in that he is in your hands, Jack. :) You are taking fantastic care of him. :)
I meant to post some support to this thread yesterday but I got all teary eyed. He's such a sweet little bub and to think of a day when he may mot be here is heart rending. :(

But it sounds like his treatment is helping him out and that's a wonderful update. I am so happy for both of you. :D
Thinking of you and sending vibes and prayers for much more time for you both to spend together. :love: xxxxxxxx

Back