• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why would a male neutered rabbit nest (bundle of hay in mouth).

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
This morning when I went to feed Bandit he normally runs up for food but had a bundle of hay in his mouth and didn't drop it. After 10 minutes I had to go in and take it out of his mouth, I was seriously worried he had somehow got it jammed in his mouth but it came out easily. I guess I know the obvious answer.

Last edited:
Can't offer any reasons but I have heard of it before, I used to know a breeder who had a male (definitely male!) who built a proper nest with fur and everything :shock: If all other behaviour seems normal and it doesn't carry on I wouldn't be worried

Can't offer any reasons but I have heard of it before, I used to know a breeder who had a male (definitely male!) who built a proper nest with fur and everything :shock: If all other behaviour seems normal and it doesn't carry on I wouldn't be worried

Think it might be because we lost his partner a month ago.:(

Digby did this a few months ago - i too thought it was jammed in his mouth! :oops: :lol: i have no idea why he did it, he hasn't done it since!

Stephen did it several times just after having the snip :lol: I put it down to the change in hormones!

i caught bisc nest building once aswell. not long after being neutered i think. he had a big bundle of hay in his mouth and looked shocked when i saw him :lol: he has never done it since.

Identity crisis? :lol::lol:

It could be a reaction to the loss of his partner. I know Bugsy's behaviour changed after he lost his partner. When introduced to his new wife, the odd behaviour stopped overnight.

As a one off it is generally nothing to worry about. However, if it becomes a regular thing it could be indicative of a problem with the adrenal gland xx

I am panicking now :( Digby has just been doing it again. He gathered up loads of hay then ran round the garden with it. Am i right in thinking the adrenal gland is in the throat area? Because Digby had that emergency tracheotomy a month or so ago, and he never did it before that :(

I am panicking now :( Digby has just been doing it again. He gathered up loads of hay then ran round the garden with it. Am i right in thinking the adrenal gland is in the throat area? Because Digby had that emergency tracheotomy a month or so ago, and he never did it before that :(

No, the adrenal glands are situated at the top of the kidneys xx

I have only twice seen this in male rabbits (had buns for 14 years). My previous neutered bun did it when his unspayed partner (Sugar) was having a false pregnancy and just a few weeks ago my present male neutered bun (who also lives with Sugar - now spayed) did it too. Only happened one time with each bun though and have never seen it since. The first time I put it down to the false pregnancy and somehow he maybe thought there were babies? This latest time there were no obvious clues at all.:?:

ETA: Digby is beautiful :love:

Back