• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First Casper Now Harriet/UD now Joe too

hoppetylop

Mama Doe
Three weeks ago I lost my beautiful Casper to renal failure.Harriet his little bunny wife was quiet but seemed fine after his death and I felt that she should have a new husbun after two weeks as she seemed abit lonely so I took her to the local bunny rescue and she came home 4 days later with a lovely little friend who ive named Joe.The bond was good and they ate and snuggled together happily.Today they went in their massive outdoor run for the day most of which is shaded so the coolest place for them to be.I brought them in at 7 for tea but Harriet didn't want much.I made an appointment for her to see a vet in the morning just to be on the safe side as she went into stasis in February and the vet wasn't sure why. I went to check them again at 11 as usual.

Harriet was dead:cry::cry::shock:

I cant believe my beautiful girlie has gone.Joe was washing her face when I went in.She was his first bunnywife and although the bond was new,he was very proud of her.
I think I got her rebonded too soon.I would have waited longer for all sorts of reasons but I thought that Harriet needed company and felt guilty the whole time I wasn't with her.How could I make such a stupid mistake?What if Casper had another health issue which she caught.Im worried about little Joe too.

She looks so peaceful.Just as if shes sleeping.Her pretty face looks relaxed and calm

I love and miss you Harriet.Sleep peacefully darling youre with Casper again at the bridge.I will look after Joe and make sure hes ok.
Byebye sweetheart.xxx

Last edited:
oh no, so sorry for yur loss and so soon after casper and the new bond, my thoughts are with you and Joe.

Don't be so hard on yourself, there is no way you could have foreseen this and were doing the best you could for harriet. Hope Joe makes it through alright,

Binky free little one

Oh no, how absolutely tragic :cry: I am so sorry :cry:

I dont know if you feel able to have a PM done, it may give you some answers as to what happened. I very much doubt that Harriet's passing was the result of any contagious disease process going on, but a PM could provide some reassurance for you about that.

I would suggest getting Joe checked over by a Vet today and also ask the Vet about giving Joe a 28 day course of Fenbendazole (Panacur/Lapizole) I dont know if Casper's renal failure was EC related ,EC can cause Kidney failure and it can also cause 'sudden death'. But as I said before, I am not sure that a contagious disease is the issue, I am just suggesting the Fenbendazole as a precaution.

What a horrible few weeks you are having :cry:

oh no, so sorry for yur loss and so soon after casper and the new bond, my thoughts are with you and Joe.

Don't be so hard on yourself, there is no way you could have foreseen this and were doing the best you could for harriet. Hope Joe makes it through alright,

Binky free little one

This exactly. I'm so sorry :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm so very sorry :cry: you shouldn't blame yourself, you were doing everything you could in the bunnies best interests. I'm sure Harriet enjoyed her time with Joe, he sounds like a very caring husbun. Sending big hugs xx

I'm so sorry. That must have been a dreadful shock. I hope Joe is OK.

Binky free with Casper little Harriet xx

Sorry for your loss. It's horrible to lose one rabbit let alone two. I'm sure joe will be ok and it sounds as if you gave them a happy and loved life x

I am so sorry, please don't blame yourself, I generally bond buns fairly soon after the loss of a partner if possible.

Binky free Harriet, reunited with Casper xxx

So sorry :cry: as others have said, you could not have forseen this, and it is highly unlikely that it was something contagious, though it could be EC. I wouldn't say that 2 weeks was too soon to get her a new husband, as I have done the same with my Bugsy as he went into stasis after losing his second wife and became very lonley.

Thankyou so much everyone for the kind posts.Jane I did wonder if EC was to blame as Harriet has been through a rough couple of weeks and must have been so stressed at times.Joe has started a 28 day course of Lapizole and so hopefully we have that covered.The vet took a good look at him and felt that he was healthy but of course I should watch him carefully over the next few weeks just to be certain.Harriet is also having a pm.
I still feel I rushed things as we didn't really know if there was another cause of Caspers death apart from renal failure.You just never stop learning with bunnies.
I miss Harriets pretty little face and big black eyes.Her funny little ways made me laugh-she was a tiny dainty little girl but had lots of character.She would destroy those commercial cardboard castles in a few days.Casper was groomed to within an inch of his life at times-she loved to keep her man tidy!She adored him though and they were usually lying together,pressed against each other as they both had sight problems and being so close was comforting for them both.In the winter they were usually together under their heat lamp warm and happy.Hope theyre together again now.
Harriets being cremated tomorrow.When I have her ashes I can scatter them in the garden with Caspers.
Love and miss you both:( xxxx

Joe hasn't eaten/pood since lunchtime.Hes been admitted at the vets-im taking no chances.Im praying he will be ok.No sleep again for me then:roll:

Back