• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

doe with 7 kits 2 runts

freakout12

New Kit
My doe had 7 kits 2 weeks ago, 5 are looking great and starting to hop around in the nest but 2 are alot smaller than the rest half or even a third of the size, all there eyes are open but the 2 smaller one are finding it hard to hop around although they have all just started to try and eat hsy, what should I do with the 2 small ones? Just leave tge?

What breed are they? Some breeds are prone to genetic 'dwarfs' sometimes called peanuts, which are dramatically smaller than their litter mates and usually don't survive. That's one reason it's important to know the genetic history so you can avoid mating two rabbits that are likely to produce these.

If that is what these are, there isn't much you can do, sometimes they die quite young, sometimes they survive a few months.

You could try holding them to the mums teats to feed a couple of times per day to ensure they aren't being pushed away by their bigger litter mates.

The doe is a lion head and the other a English lop I think. I thought peanuts didn't grow atol? 1 is growing just slowly and I'm not sure about the other because it still fits in my hand where as the bigger rabbits I need 2 hands. I don't know weather to have the 2 runts put down or wait and see if they will make it till weaning.

The doe is a lion head and the other a English lop I think. I thought peanuts didn't grow atol? 1 is growing just slowly and I'm not sure about the other because it still fits in my hand where as the bigger rabbits I need 2 hands. I don't know weather to have the 2 runts put down or wait and see if they will make it till weaning.

The Doe is a Lionhead and the Buck and EL :shock: :? There probably lies the problem :cry:

Are the two runts looking malnourished or are they just very small ?

If the Doe is calm with you around her and the kits you could try holding the two runts up to the Doe's nipples to ensure that they are getting a fare share of her milk. The larger Kits probably barge the runts out of the way.

As an aside I am assuming the mating was an accident and that no-one deliberately mated up a Lionhead Doe (probably about 2.5kg max) and an EL Buck (EL Bucks usually weigh about 5.5kg)...............................

Yes breeding was by accident we were told the doe was a male and never 2nd guessed won't do that again 😕 it may not be a EL may just be a Dutch because the doe is the bigger rabbit. The 2 runts they have fur eyes are open but there bellys are not as full and as I said a third of the size one has got bigger over the past 5 days but the other is still the same. How long would a kit last without milk? I'm guessing the 2 smalls one are getting some just not enough or are just going to be small or won't make it.

Yes breeding was by accident we were told the doe was a male and never 2nd guessed won't do that again  it may not be a EL may just be a Dutch because the doe is the bigger rabbit. The 2 runts they have fur eyes are open but there bellys are not as full and as I said a third of the size one has got bigger over the past 5 days but the other is still the same. How long would a kit last without milk? I'm guessing the 2 smalls one are getting some just not enough or are just going to be small or won't make it.

English lops are very different to Dutches! Do you have pics?

Can you try either holding mum upside down on your lap and placing the two small ones on her stomach. See if they find the teats and drink. They will move from teat to teat usually quite fast

If she will not roll onto her back on you lap then try using a towel to firm a sort of hammock again on your lap. Place her over this the right way up and insert the two babies under her in the space between her tum and the slightly baggy towel. Ensure she does not kick them. They should turn themselves upside down to match on to her

If she gets too restless stop

Obviously in both instances beware any sudden movements by you. It will help if there are two of you

Try and do this twice a day. Preferably when she has not just fed the rest

You can also try hand syringing esbiiliac milk as a top up.

Back