• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lop Questions.

luna

Mama Doe
Hi all,

I'm just wondering can anyone tell me the weight of the standard lop when fully grown please.

Also Iv heard that lops are more prone to dental problems because of the shape of their face particularly mini lops. Would dental problems be less likely to occur in the standard lops because the shape of their face isn't as flat?

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm just wondering can anyone tell me the weight of this breed when fully grown please.

Also Iv heard that lops are more prone to dental problems because of the shape of their face particularly mini lops. Would dental problems be less likely to occur in the standard lops because the shape of their face isn't as flat?

I think the maximum weight is 1.6 kg for a mini lop? I'm not sure about other lops. Google was my friend in that question.

I dont know what you mean by a 'Standard Lop' :?

Maybe it doesn't exist so because Google couldn't tell me. I guess it's just a lop that is not mini or doesn't meet mini or dwarf standards and is not a French or English either. Lol!!!! Could be any size so :/

I have come across many ads advertising standard lops, that's why I was asking.

Yup there is no "Standard Lop".

The most common Lops are:
Mini Lop (what Americans call Holland) - up to around 1.6kg
Dwarf Lop (what Americans call Mini) - 2kg up to around 4kg
French Lop - 4kg plus
English Lop - hewge over 4kg

Mini/Dwarf/French all have similar shaped ears and the smooshed faces - which can mean more susceptability to dental, ear and eye problems.

English have longer faces and MUCH longer ears, long enough to prevent them from behaving like normal rabbits :( they can tread on them, tear them, and I'm glad I've never seen a purebred English show up in rescue as those ears are high maintenance.

I think the maximum weight is 1.6 kg for a mini lop? I'm not sure about other lops. Google was my friend in that question.

Thanks. Google couldn't really tell me anything about standard. It must not exist so!

The BRC also recognises a bunch of other lops including Cashmere Lop (long-haired lops, Angora x Lop), German Lop (I can't tell the difference between these and French!), "Meissner" - no idea! And they also recognised Lion Lops which are Lionheads x Lop.

Seeing a lot more long haired lops in rescue, super high maintenance too.

Yup there is no "Standard Lop".

The most common Lops are:
Mini Lop (what Americans call Holland) - up to around 1.6kg
Dwarf Lop (what Americans call Mini) - 2kg up to around 4kg
French Lop - 4kg plus
English Lop - hewge over 4kg

Mini/Dwarf/French all have similar shaped ears and the smooshed faces - which can mean more susceptability to dental, ear and eye problems.

English have longer faces and MUCH longer ears, long enough to prevent them from behaving like normal rabbits :( they can tread on them, tear them, and I'm glad I've never seen a purebred English show up in rescue as those ears are high maintenance.

Thanks so much for that :) as much as I love lops I think when getting my next bun I might go with an up eared bun. Bobby was a lionlop and he had dental problems and ear problems and it was a middle ear infection that took him from us in the end :(

Poor Bobby :(

I know :( he was plagued with health problems from about 12 months. Dental problems, uti's , and then his middle ear. Now I have become a bit neurotic about taking on a friend for Rosie for fear of the same things happening again! It was super stressful. Anyway thanks for all the info. ..It was very informative :) xx

Harry was a dwarf lop with a ruler flat face and he had eye and later on teeth problems.

Ludo is a small dwarf lop and he has a slightly less flat face but does have some spurs on his teeth- at the moment they're controlled with diet but they're something the vet keeps an eye on.

I love lops dearly but they're not wonderfully healthy.

All my dental buns bar one have been lionheads :(

My Boots was a long haired German Lop, he lived to be over 10 years with no health issues at all :love:

They are smaller than a French Lop but still substantial bunnies :lol:

I have a Holland, or what you call a mini lop, and have never had health issues with her until now. At 9 she has become a bit arthritic and incontinent, but otherwise she does pretty well for an old girl :)

My rabbits are predominently lops and *touch wood* have not encountered very many dental problems.

of 16 rabbits, 13 being lops, Bungee had malocclusion so had 10 dentals in her lifetime. Shadow had problems with his teeth but only had his incisors burred once and then incisor removal (died under GA:cry:) but his dental problems were secondary to congenital liver problem. Rudy, who is 7 had one dental age 1 but no problems since. Artie (dwarf lop) lived to 8 3/4 and never needed dental treatment.

When I adopted Anakin, my first mini lop, I specifically asked our vet (FHB) to check his teeth as I wanted to be prepared, him being a mini lop, shape of his face etc. She said she is seeing a lot less of the standard dental problems eg spurs in recent years and puts it down to rabbits being given a more appropriate diet now than say a decade ago. She has however talked about the propensity for ear problems in lops.

My 7 are a combination of mini lop, dwarf lops and Heinz 57 lops. Only Flopsy has dental problems but I think that was due to his head tilt at 3-4 weeks old that has tilted his face. He has had less dental just lately :thumb:

The others have no dental probs but my mini lop, Thomas, and mixed whatever lop, Lucky, have snuffles which I think Thomas brought with him when I rescued him. All of the others have no symptoms whatsoever even though they chin all of the same areas of the garden that he does.

That means that I have no idea really :lol: xx

Back