• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Runny nose and weeping eye u/d D1ck vet tomorrow

weedug

Mama Doe
Just back from the vet with Honey, because as well as her sneezing, she has developed a runny eye. She has been sneezing out thick chunks of white stuff when she sneezes. There was pus coming from one tear duct when the vet checked her, but the other tear duct and side of her nose seemed clear.

She is to go in tomorrow to get her tooth roots x-rayed, her tear ducts checked with a dye, and a swab taken. The vet reckoned that if her roots were elongated then there wasn't any point in burring her teeth down because it was her upper teeth that were the problem, nor would it be any good to remove the teeth because the roots would already have done damage.

Honey has constantly sneezed, ever since I got her when she was about 6 months old. It has been getting much worse since she has been getting older and this is the first time her eye has been affected.

She has had conscious swabs done before, and it showed Septrin would clear it, but she gets 2-4 weeks worth of antibiotics which clears it up a bit, then it just all starts coming back again.

Is there anything else they should be checking tomorrow?

Last edited:
Sounds as though everything is being checked. I would question the bit about not burring the crowns of the molars down as low as possible though. Doing so can slow the rate of progression of tooth root elongation.

Sounds as though everything is being checked. I would question the bit about not burring the crowns of the molars down as low as possible though. Doing so can slow the rate of progression of tooth root elongation.

Thanks Jane. I will ask about it again tomorrow. Perhaps I picked him up wrong, and he meant that if the tear ducts were damaged, then burring the teeth wouldn't cure the damage.

I am concerned about an abscess somewhere, as Honey had abscesses before she came to me.

Thanks Jane. I will ask about it again tomorrow. Perhaps I picked him up wrong, and he meant that if the tear ducts were damaged, then burring the teeth wouldn't cure the damage.

I am concerned about an abscess somewhere, as Honey had abscesses before she came to me.

Abscesses in the tooth roots are a possible complication of tooth root elongation.

Abscesses in the tooth roots are a possible complication of tooth root elongation.

Quite worried now. This has been going on for some time, and the other vet I saw always just put it down to snuffles and gave antibiotics. It has always just been the one side of Honey's nose that had the discharge though :?.

Quite worried now. This has been going on for some time, and the other vet I saw always just put it down to snuffles and gave antibiotics. It has always just been the one side of Honey's nose that had the discharge though :?.

That's not uncommon. Is it the left side by any chance ?

That's her dropped off. Really hope it all goes well. The vet said he would need to see the x-rays before he would consider burring if her roots were elongated. He did say that they might do some dental work today depending on what is happening.

I've to go to collect her at 5:15 and speak to the vet. There have been a few things show up on the tests, but they haven't said what yet.

We're back. Her tooth roots are ok. Slightly elongated on the left side, but just a little. The tear ducts are both fine and working well.

There is some sort of tissue growth in her right nasal passage though, which is right through it. There should be pockets of air in the nasal passage, but the left side showed as white with no air. The vet couldn't say what it was. He wants to get the infection sorted, and then maybe send her to D1ck Vet to get a ct scan. I asked if it could be cancer, but he couldn't say if it was that or if it was damage from the constant infections she has had, or something else.

They got loads of gung out to send away, which was really thick. The bit I saw a couple of days ago was pretty solid.

He wants to wait for the results before giving her an antibiotic to make sure it is the right one.

We're back. Her tooth roots are ok. Slightly elongated on the left side, but just a little. The tear ducts are both fine and working well.

There is some sort of tissue growth in her right nasal passage though, which is right through it. There should be pockets of air in the nasal passage, but the left side showed as white with no air. The vet couldn't say what it was. He wants to get the infection sorted, and then maybe send her to D1ck Vet to get a ct scan. I asked if it could be cancer, but he couldn't say if it was that or if it was damage from the constant infections she has had, or something else.

They got loads of gung out to send away, which was really thick. The bit I saw a couple of days ago was pretty solid.

He wants to wait for the results before giving her an antibiotic to make sure it is the right one.

I hope that she will respond well to treatment and that there is nothing nasty going on in her right nasal passage. Maybe it's a nasal polyp.

I hope that she will respond well to treatment and that there is nothing nasty going on in her right nasal passage. Maybe it's a nasal polyp.

Thank you. It's a bit worrying that the whole of her right nasal passage was showing white on the x-ray, there was no air pockets like the left side.

Honey still isn't eating properly :(. I have been syringe feeding her, but all she will have herself is a couple of dandelions. She has been getting appetite stimulant but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

I have put her outside for a bit, as she normally is during the days at this time of year, in the hope that might help.

Any other ideas, apart from another stressful trip to the vet?

Back