• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Insurance recommendations

Sorry I'll be more specific!

What are the differences between Pets At Home and Pet Plan cover? The websites confuse me!

Pet plan are generally the best and are normally recommended by vets :) make sure you get a whole of life plan!!!!

Pet plan are generally the best and are normally recommended by vets :) make sure you get a whole of life plan!!!!

I just went through the 'get a quote' link on the main page of their website. I presumed from that that there must be only one type of plan? Eeep!

I just went through the 'get a quote' link on the main page of their website. I presumed from that that there must be only one type of plan? Eeep!

Both Pets at Home and Pet Plan only do 'for life' cover. (Pets at Home used to do annual cover but don't offer that option now).

The main difference between the two is P@H cover is up to £1500 compared to PP at £2000. With P@H you pay 10% of the bill after paying the excess; with PP you only pay the excess.

P@H are much cheaper but bear the above figures in mind. However the premiums increase with the age of the pet and in our case Esme, aged 6 now costs £185 a year to insure with Pet Plan (excess of £100), Dinky aged 7 costs £90 with P@H (excess of £75 + 10%).

Both Pets at Home and Pet Plan only do 'for life' cover. (Pets at Home used to do annual cover but don't offer that option now).

The main difference between the two is P@H cover is up to £1500 compared to PP at £2000. With P@H you pay 10% of the bill after paying the excess; with PP you only pay the excess.

P@H are much cheaper but bear the above figures in mind. However the premiums increase with the age of the pet and in our case Esme, aged 6 now costs £185 a year to insure with Pet Plan (excess of £100), Dinky aged 7 costs £90 with P@H (excess of £75 + 10%).

Thank you, that's very helpful! :D

I believe pets at home don't cover dental whereas Petplan do as long as your bun has no pre existing dental history and has dental checkups every 6 months.

I believe pets at home don't cover dental whereas Petplan do as long as your bun has no pre existing dental history and has dental checkups every 6 months.

Pets at Home do cover dental "for injury or illness" up to £350 as long as they have had a dental check up in the last 12 months.

My rabbits only have dental check once a year (with vaccination)... 6 are insured with PP. *touches wood none have dental issues*

Humphrey had one dental shortly after I first got him (at about 20 months), but hasn't had one since and he's nearly 4. I think his new diet with me helped! Would that count as a pre-existing condition?

Humphrey had one dental shortly after I first got him (at about 20 months), but hasn't had one since and he's nearly 4. I think his new diet with me helped! Would that count as a pre-existing condition?

Sadly, yes.

Rudy had a dental shortly after I adopted him, age one, six years ago. He's had no dental problems since but Pet Plan have not only excluded him for dental but also anything to do with eyes and facial abscesses!

Sadly, yes.

Rudy had a dental shortly after I adopted him, age one, six years ago. He's had no dental problems since but Pet Plan have not only excluded him for dental but also anything to do with eyes and facial abscesses!

Oh that's rubbish. :lol:

If your rabbit has a pre-existing dental condition you could look at helpucover. They don't cover dentals at all but you'd be excluded anyway. My quotes have always been significantly lower with them.
I pay £6 a month for Mack and got £25 cashback with quidco for taking out the policy.

Back